The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Studying Latin in Italy Options
Claudia
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 1:24:35 PM

Neurons: 12
Does anyone know how/where I could study advanced Latin in Italy? I did Reggie Foster's summer course in Rome years ago, but he is no longer teaching in Rome. I would like to spend another summer or even a sabbatical semester in Italy doing this. Thanks!
SandraM
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 5:13:33 AM

Neurons: 1,444
Hi Claudia,
I am afraid I can't help you on this subject but it sounds like a great idea.
Enjoy your "summer in Rome"!
Claudia
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 10:10:37 AM

Neurons: 12
Thanks. It amazes me how hard it is to study Latin in Italy or Ancient Greek in Greece!
SandraM
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:18:26 AM

Well, according to Elisa on this forum, and other Italians I know, it is quite common to study Latin in Italy and ancient Greek in Greece in high school, but apparently for adults, it is a bit different.
You should try posting in the Italian-English forum and hopefully, someone there would have answers for you.
I would have been able to help you (perhaps) if you wished to study in France or in the UK, but...
anastaysha
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 5:29:42 AM

Neurons: 3
hi,

does anyone know where an adult could study Latin in classroom environment in anywhere in Europe?

i did a bit of google works on it, but it seems like it's all either online courses or high school curriculum.

please help.
SandraM
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 6:57:56 AM

Hello and welcome anastaysha,
In France, in most universities there are courses for beginners in Latin. It wouldn't necessarily be in a classroom environment like in a high school classroom but I guess the group would be fairly small. I am not one hundred per cent sure for other universities, but at la Sorbonne in Paris where I went, I know these "Latin grand débutant" existed until recently, but you have to speak French as they are almost always part of a "French and classical studies" degree. Here is a link to the "UFR de latin" (department of Latin studies) Paris IV la Sorbonne latin.
And I just found this link for Latin summer schools mostly in UK Latin summer school. Otherwise, in the UK, and certainly in the university of Bristol, the study of Latin seems to be offered almost always as part of a master's degree with ancient Greek too.
I hope this helped you a little.
Good luck with this beautiful language.