The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

sliver Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,883
sliver

(noun) A thin fragment or slice (especially of wood) that has been shaved from something.

Synonyms: paring, shaving

Usage: I fed it, shaving by shaving, and sliver by sliver, till at last it was snapping and crackling as it laid hold of the smaller chips and sticks.
nananono
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 3:22:51 AM

Neurons: 12
I love almond sliver on my chocholate mudcake. Yummmmmm
biareinach
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 7:00:11 AM

Neurons: 493
I could not understand this sentence. Is there someone who could help me rephrasing it?

I fed it, shaving by shaving, and sliver by sliver, till at last it was snapping and crackling as it laid hold of the smaller chips and sticks.
Christine
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 10:37:31 AM

Neurons: 15,842
biareinach wrote:
I could not understand this sentence. Is there someone who could help me rephrasing it?

I fed it, shaving by shaving, and sliver by sliver, till at last it was snapping and crackling as it laid hold of the smaller chips and sticks.

I think it's wood. But, I don't understand "I fed it". Maybe the wood was fed into a shaving tool??

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

Christine
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 10:38:59 AM

sliver of silver. Whistle

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

capo403
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 10:40:16 AM

Neurons: 1,815
biareinach wrote:

Apparently, the narrator was feeding fish and chips, or something of that nature, to some animal - one shaving or sliver at a time. Without context, the sentence is confusing.

It does remind me of an experience I once had while dining at Long John Silver's. As I took a bite of food using the plastic fork, a prong broke off the fork. Although I chewed the food well before swallowing and looked all around, I could not find the prong. Afterwards, I began calling the restaurant "Long John Slivers."

"God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say "thank you"? -William A. Ward
capo403
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 10:58:21 AM

Christine wrote:
biareinach wrote:

I think it's wood. But, I don't understand "I fed it". Maybe the wood was fed into a shaving tool??

I think Christine is correct. The narrator of the sentence is speaking of "feeding" wood chips and sticks into a machine. The "chips and sticks" reminded me of "fish and chips." Eh?

"God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say "thank you"? -William A. Ward
MiTziGo
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 11:45:45 AM

Neurons: 6,142
I understood the "it" as a fire. As in, "I fed the fire sliver of wood by sliver of wood until it was snapping and cracking (making the sounds of a crackling fire) and consuming the larger sticks that built it up."
Ellenrita
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 11:46:46 AM

Neurons: 3,889
Might it refer to feeding a fire, getting it to blaze, sliver by sliver and so on?
capo403
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 12:07:09 PM

Michal & Ellenrita,

Your interpretation certainly makes a lot of sense. My thinking was convoluted from the beginning because of the associations I made between words in the sentence. Logically, if the wood was fed into a machine as shavings and slivers, it would not emerge as chips and sticks.

biareinach
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 12:07:24 PM

Neurons: 493
Thanks everybody, I got it now.
Ellenrita
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 7:30:37 PM

Kindling are the small sticks of wood fed to a fire. Sliver is what I get in my finger or toe from rough wood. I can not resist: What
did the Lone Ranger say when he tied his horse to a wooden post.

Answer: Hi,Ho,sliver Silver! So lame but this word of the day is addicting to me. After I answer I keep thinking of more to write.
Christine
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 8:42:47 PM

MichalG wrote:
I understood the "it" as a fire. As in, "I fed the fire sliver of wood by sliver of wood until it was snapping and cracking (making the sounds of a crackling fire) and consuming the larger sticks that built it up."

That sounds good!Applause

ChildofTheKing
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 9:22:30 PM

Neurons: 557

Prometheus' sacrificial efforts for the apple of his eye, Maud, were demonstrated by his many brave deeds, inclusive of his ingenuous use of the sliver of sticks and chips, gun powder and paper, to construct a fire - not only to provide for their needs (survival, itself), but also for one of Maud's most prized delicacies, a steaming cup of coffee!

My, what chivalry! The world needs more men like Prometheus.

Ellenrita
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 10:38:23 PM

Child of the King - Wow!