The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Shocking Boredom Study Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,100
Shocking Boredom Study

Fifteen minutes may not seem like a terribly long time, but when left alone with just one's thoughts for company, it is apparently unbearable, and many would sooner shock themselves than endure it. Nearly half of the participants in a recent study—18 of 42—elected to administer at least one mildly painful electric shock to themselves at some point during a 15-minute period in which they were left alone in an empty room and asked to sit at a table "entertaining themselves with their own thoughts." Though some have criticized the study's design, the researchers concluded that, on the whole, people prefer doing something, even something unpleasant, to doing nothing at all. More...
TheParser
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 8:48:01 AM

Neurons: 22,062
"The boredom that a man feels when he is doing necessary though uninteresting work is as nothing in comparison with the boredom that he feels when he has nothing to do."

-- Bertrand Russell
JUSTIN Excellence
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 9:46:49 AM

Neurons: 2,787
"It has occurred to me more than once that holy boredom is good and sufficient reason for the invention of free will."

--- God Emperor of Dune

über laboratorium dauernd zur Naturtreue
GreenBanana
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 10:07:33 AM

Neurons: 20,818
Boredom is a form of depression in which the mind cries out for intellectual stimulation.

Make every post as if it was the first one in the thread.
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 10:42:41 AM

Neurons: 350,106
Isn't it interesting that a time of reflection, meditation or deep thought is considered "boredom." Being told what to think and how to act by the TeeVee is exciting, though!

The best way to control the opposition is to finance it. Birds of prey have two wings; the left wing & right wing.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 10:42:53 AM

Neurons: 56,936
I found this amazing because I have always loved having time to think and analyze ideas that interest me. I can spend hours thinking, if given the opportunity.

I find it curious that young people, in particular, can't seem to go even a few minutes without some kind of stimulation. Working around young people at a college has given me opportunity to observe them, and most seem to have the attention span of a gnat. It is not, however, confined only to the young. Many of today's adults appear to have been reared on exactly the same need for constant stimulation.

I've had several discussions with a few students about this, and they all say that, indeed, they get extremely anxious if they do not have something to distract them from their own thoughts. It gives new meaning to the question, "What the hell were you thinking?...Whistle "

One can only wonder what effect this will have on future generations...Think

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Hugo Silva Mota
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 2:08:14 PM

Neurons: 196
People should meditated more but sadly they prefer games an other methods of distraction.