The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The Running of the Bulls in Pamplona Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,720
The Running of the Bulls in Pamplona

The festival of San Fermin is a deeply rooted celebration held annually, from July 6 to July 14, in the city of Pamplona, Spain. It commemorates San Fermin, who was allegedly dragged to his death by bulls. The festival's most famous event is the encierro, the running of the bulls, which involves many residents and visitors running in front of bulls down a stretch of narrow streets. Hundreds of people are injured during the encierro each year. How many people have been killed? More...
LucOneOff
Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 2:14:46 AM

Neurons: 696,826
Goring is much less common but potentially life threatening. In 2013 for example, 6 participants were gored along the festival, in 2012 only 4 runners were injured by the horns of the bulls with exactly the same number of gored people in 2011, 9 in 2010 and 10 in 2009; with one of the latter killed.
moniquester
Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 2:48:55 AM

Neurons: 87,227
Is this not a case of mass hysteria, not to mention mass silliness???

Be the change you wish to see in the world!-Gandhi
walirlan
Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 4:16:42 AM

Neurons: 253,078
I don't know how these idiotic and sadistic things can happen in any European country. These animals suffer so much. What a culture is it? Is it so entertaining for those people? Is it a touristic attraction? Stupid and cruel people can have a fun.
stefan
Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 6:24:40 AM

Neurons: 3,293,044
Overall, since record-keeping began in 1910, 15 people have been killed in the bull running of Pamplona, most of them due to being gored.[
Pieter_Hove
Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 9:39:31 AM

Neurons: 596,642
Searching for risks is of all times. I have never taken risks with any kind of animal any more, from the day that my red tomcat (r.i.p.) took my hand by its jaws for several minutes, after I had spanked it with that hand. It took me a lot of it convincing to let go. I still feel pity for what I did back then.
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 1:27:06 PM

Neurons: 5,442,204

Chicago Author Of ‘How To Run With The Bulls’ Gored In Pamplona
July 9, 2014 6:24 AM

CHICAGO (CBS/AP) – A Chicago author was gored Wednesday during the running of the bulls in Pamplona, Spain.
Bill Hillmann is a veteran bull-runner who co-authored the book “Fiesta: How To Survive The Bulls Of Pamplona,” and has written several articles titled “How to Run With the Bulls” for Outside Magazine. He survived his goring, but was being treated for injuries to his right thigh.

Among the tips Hillmann provided for bull-runners: “Get an arm’s length away from the wall,” “keep your head on a swivel,” and “run like you’ve never run before.”

Hillmann, 32, was gored twice in his right thigh on Wednesday after talking a spill in Pamplona. A Spaniard also was gored during Wednesday’s run.

Hillman was gored at the Telefonica stretch, a particularly dangerous part of San Fermin’s Running of the Bulls, after a bull got separated from the pack. According to Sanfermin.com, the danger of the Telefonica stretch “is increased by the presence of inexpert runners and by the change in the pace of the bulls. This stretch turns progressively towards the left until it goes straight down into the final stretch leading into the bull ring. Here the bulls quicken up but the runners in front generally don’t have time to do it with the same rapidness. This creates dangerous situations and the statistics reveal a high level of incidents on this stretch of the run.”

Fifteen people have died from gorings since record-keeping began in 1924, three of them at the Telefonica stretch. Dozens of people are injured each year in the runs, most of them in falls.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/07/09/chicago-man-gored-during-running-of-the-bulls/
mirilli
Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 1:54:27 PM

Neurons: 1,521,566
A rude and brutal behaviour that I can't understand.I'm on the side of the bulls.
excaelis
Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 8:40:09 PM

Neurons: 32,652
I'm with you, mirilli. Every idiot gored is a small victory for those of us who wish to maintain the integrity of the gene pool.

Sanity is not statistical