The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Juneteenth Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,964
Juneteenth

Although President Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863, it wasn't until two years later that the word reached the slaves in Texas. General Gordon Granger arrived in Galveston on June 19, 1865 with the intention of forcing slave owners to release their slaves, and the day has been celebrated since that time in Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, and other parts of the Deep South under the nickname "Juneteenth." Observed primarily in African-American communities, Juneteenth festivities usually include parades, picnics, and baseball games. More...
moniquester
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:00:41 AM

Neurons: 87,227
Dancing Boo hoo! Applause What a fine reason to celebrate! I think this is more "independence" than the emancipation from Britain was! Why keep it south of 60? The whole of North America should celebrate the emancipation of the slaves! This is a true "freedom celebration" and ought to become part of our shared heritage between Canada and the United States. Happy Juneteenth, everyone!!!! Applause Dancing Boo hoo!

Be the change you wish to see in the world!-Gandhi
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:36:00 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Good to see that the U.S. Postal Service was on its game.

[edit] I love ' primarily in African-American communities...'. Primarily ?

Sanity is not statistical
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:47:37 AM

Neurons: 5,370,053
General Order Number 3

One of General Granger’s first orders of business was to read to the people of Texas, General Order Number 3 which began most significantly with:

"The people of Texas are informed that in accordance with a Proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves, and the connection heretofore existing between them becomes that between employer and free laborer."

The Juneteenth celebration was a time for reassuring each other, for praying and for gathering remaining family members.

http://www.juneteenth.com/history.htm
The Realist
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:36:01 PM

Neurons: 4,920
A day of freedom. Our whether today started out cloudy, but it turned out to be a good day for our Juneteenth Festival.
jdubyathree
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 11:49:14 PM

Neurons: 770
This is why last year Chris Rock got so much grief on twitter when he remarked July 4th wasn't independence day for Black people. Sad thing how many even knew before today? I knew a little something last week. That's why I'm trying to learn as much as I can about OUR history. Others want it distorted or not even legitimate, like our POTUSApplause Applause Applause Applause Applause