The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A man's house burns down. The smoking wreckage represents only a ruined home that was dear through years of use and pleasant... Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,442
A man's house burns down. The smoking wreckage represents only a ruined home that was dear through years of use and pleasant associations. By and by, as the days and weeks go on, first he misses this, then that, then the other thing. And when he casts about for it he finds that it was in that house. Always it is an essential--there was but one of its kind. It cannot be replaced. It was in that house. It is irrevocably lost... It will be years before the tale of lost essentials is complete, and not till then can he truly know the magnitude of his disaster.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)
Professor
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 12:50:09 AM

Neurons: 42,160
Daemon wrote:
A man's house burns down. The smoking wreckage represents only a ruined home that was dear through years of use and pleasant associations. By and by, as the days and weeks go on, first he misses this, then that, then the other thing. And when he casts about for it he finds that it was in that house. Always it is an essential--there was but one of its kind. It cannot be replaced. It was in that house. It is irrevocably lost... It will be years before the tale of lost essentials is complete, and not till then can he truly know the magnitude of his disaster.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

I lost him after the first sentence.

"You reveal your character by what you do with what you have."
walirlan
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 2:29:58 AM

Neurons: 253,078
Quote is a quote. These are sentences. Too many of them!!!
Madas
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 3:03:12 AM

Neurons: 2,263,202
More usualy a man (politically correct - a person) forgets what was in his treasured house. But, yes, it may happen this way too.
Bully_rus
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 4:00:19 AM

Neurons: 256,039
Daemon wrote:

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Losing something dear to you isn't an event, but rather a process. And it may be fascinating and exciting as discovery of something new and important.
moniquester
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 4:37:11 AM

Neurons: 87,227
A man's house holds his treasures. When we lose things, we want to go home. But in the end, even the house cannot be taken with us. We die alone with nothing--just the way we came into this world, we must leave it. The more attached we are to the things with which we fill our house, the more difficult it becomes to leave it behind. The trick is to live in an undetached, disinterested manner. That is the difficulty of living in a materialistic society!Boo hoo!

Be the change you wish to see in the world!-Gandhi
pedro
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 6:41:18 AM

Neurons: 63,022
A man's house burns down..........................

not one of his pithiest

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
monamagda
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 7:43:24 AM

Neurons: 5,607,426
From "The Autobiography of Mark Twain" by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens). 1917.
Twain wrote this paragraph about his experience of the death of his daughter, Susy, from meningitis.

Read in context:

It is one of the mysteries of our nature that a man, all unprepared, can receive a thunder-stroke like that and live. There is but one reasonable explanation of it. The Intellect is stunned by the shock and but gropingly gathers the meaning of the words. The power to realize their full import is mercifully wanting. The mind has a dumb sense of vast loss—that is all. It will take mind and memory months and possibly years to gather together the details and thus learn and know the whole extent of the loss. A man’s house burns down. The smoking wreckage represents only a ruined home that was dear through years of use and pleasant associations. By and by, as the days and weeks go on, first he misses this, then that, then the other thing. And when he casts about for it he finds that it was in that house. Always it is an essential—there was but one of its kind. It cannot be replaced. It was in that house. It is irrevocably lost.... It will be years before the tale of lost essentials is complete, and not till then can he truly know the magnitude of his disaster.

Read more, worthy read :
http://books.google.com.br/books?id=zzkCrWTY4-wC&pg=PA49&lpg=PA49&dq=A+man%27s+house+burns+down.+The+smoking+wreckage+represents+only+a+ruined+home
ithink140
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 10:21:42 AM

Neurons: 17,922
An interesting and thoughtful simile... the context helped.

'Life is too short to be eaten up by hate.'
jcbarros
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 11:24:29 AM

Neurons: 9,052
After the shock life continues, the time goes by and the oblivion finally comes.
Ahamed Faheem
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 2:38:19 PM

Neurons: 3,070
you're born alone and you die alone.
The only thing you take with you when you leave this world are you're good deeds everything else you leave behind like your car, your bank balances and fancy homes and designer scarves.
ChristineC
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 5:51:49 PM

Neurons: 1,492
Well, I liked it!!
The Realist
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 6:55:13 PM

Neurons: 4,920
Appreciate what you got, while you got it. GW
Leils
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 9:07:52 PM

Neurons: 255
i lost my home at age 15 due to revolution in iran - we had to leave and i never saw my room or my books or my toys ever again - through childhood you do suffer it was painful but children are fluid and live in the moment so i moved on however years later i cried and cried and cried and still often do when i remember my homes that were lost with everything in them that my parents had worked OH SO HARD to put together - very beautiful homes gone with the wind - ouch :(
ChristineC
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 9:33:31 PM

Neurons: 1,492
Leils wrote:
i lost my home at age 15 due to revolution in iran - we had to leave and i never saw my room or my books or my toys ever again - through childhood you do suffer it was painful but children are fluid and live in the moment so i moved on however years later i cried and cried and cried and still often do when i remember my homes that were lost with everything in them that my parents had worked OH SO HARD to put together - very beautiful homes gone with the wind - ouch :(

That is sad. God bless you.
karlapalem
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 12:26:58 AM

Neurons: 2,803
I used to recollect my house very fondly wherein I spent my early childhood days. Once with lot of strain I visited the place after several years only to find my dearest spot demolished and replaced with some the latest cola company store. My heart bled and I cursed myself for loosing that beautiful last picture of my old friendly home!
Saul F
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 8:32:53 AM

Neurons: 26,936
Seems like it took him a long time to value the treasure he had.