The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Argyle Diamond Mine Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 82,992
Argyle Diamond Mine

The Argyle mine in Western Australia is one of the world's largest diamond producers by volume, producing more than 750 million carats of rough diamonds since operations began in the 1980s. Most of the diamonds mined there are of relatively low quality. However, it is the primary source of the rare and valuable pink diamond, producing more than 90% of the world's supply, and is also a major source of champagne, cognac, and blue diamonds. What percentage of Argyle's diamonds are gem quality? More...
LucOneOff
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 3:25:40 AM

Neurons: 696,826
Only 5% is considered gem-quality, with the rest being either near-gem quality or industrial grade.
stefan
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 4:25:37 AM

Neurons: 3,293,044
...that 5 % "is somewhat below world averages of about 20% of mined diamonds qualifying as gem-grade. "
webtrafficconnection
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 10:46:29 AM

Neurons: 880
Daemon wrote:
Argyle Diamond Mine

The Argyle mine in Western Australia is one of the world's largest diamond producers by volume, producing more than 750 million carats of rough diamonds since operations began in the 1980s. Most of the diamonds mined there are of relatively low quality. However, it is the primary source of the rare and valuable pink diamond, producing more than 90% of the world's supply, and is also a major source of champagne, cognac, and blue diamonds. What percentage of Argyle's diamonds are gem quality? More...

A quite fascinating article. Thank you for sharing; however, one question came to my mind while reading. I was wondering if anyone here knows how they secure the area from would be diamond thieves and other undesirable characters? They must surely have to have some of the tightest security measures of anyone in the world. I would think that would be the case, but if someone might share some additional information there, I would be most appreciative.
thar
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 11:33:21 AM

Neurons: 80,155
The really cool bit is thinking about how they got there!

Quote:
The Kimberley diamond region consists of a central core of a thick series of nearly flat-lying sedimentary and volcanic rocks that were deposited between 1.6 and 1.9 billion years ago. These rocks form the Kimberley Plateau. They are underlain by a basement of crystalline igneous and metamorphic rocks, which are not exposed on the surface of the plateau. Recent investigations have indicated that the basement is of Archaean age, that is, more than 2.5 billion years old.

ancient basement

a bit of sediment on top

a bit of volcanism

first you open pit

then you tunnel

Well, I think it is cool, anyway Applause Whistle
webtrafficconnection
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 12:03:06 PM

Neurons: 880
thar wrote:
The really cool bit is thinking about how they got there!

Quote:
The Kimberley diamond region consists of a central core of a thick series of nearly flat-lying sedimentary and volcanic rocks that were deposited between 1.6 and 1.9 billion years ago. These rocks form the Kimberley Plateau. They are underlain by a basement of crystalline igneous and metamorphic rocks, which are not exposed on the surface of the plateau. Recent investigations have indicated that the basement is of Archaean age, that is, more than 2.5 billion years old.

ancient basement

a bit of sediment on top

a bit of volcanism

first you open pit

then you tunnel

Well, I think it is cool, anyway Applause Whistle

Simply amazing pictures! Thanks very much for this, and yes, it is amazing to consider how they got there!
monamagda
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 2:51:36 PM

Neurons: 5,272,839
ARGYLE DIAMONDS

BEYOND RARE

Of the 20 million carats of rough diamonds that are produced annually, less than 0.1% are pink. Argyle pink diamonds are rare; in fact they are beyond rare. With just an estimated decade of supply remaining in the mine, as time passes the Argyle pink diamond becomes evermore precious.

http://www.ljwestdiamonds.com/argyle-diamonds/beyond-rare/beyond-rare.html
monamagda
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 2:53:45 PM

Neurons: 5,272,839

To own a pink diamond is to be
the custodian of an unsurpassed heirloom;
to gaze upon it is to view unfathomable beauty;
to give one is to impart a gift that is truly beyond rare.