The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Anne Frank (1929) Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,253
Anne Frank (1929)

Anne Frank was a Jewish girl who, with her parents and sister, hid from the Nazis in a secret annex above her father's Amsterdam office building for two years. Betrayed to the Germans in 1944, the Franks were deported to concentration camps, where all but father Otto perished. The diary Anne kept during their time in the annex, a work characterized by poignancy, humor, and tart observation, was later published and is now an international bestseller. Why did Otto edit out some parts of the diary? More...
stefan
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:43:52 AM

Neurons: 3,293,044
He removed certain passages, most notably those in which Frank is critical of her parents (especially her mother), and sections that discussed Frank's growing sexuality.
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:05:19 AM

Neurons: 5,592,806
The Anne's purest optimism!!

In her diary,15 July 1944 he wrote:

"It's difficult in times like these: ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality. It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart. I simply can't build my hopes on a foundation of confusion, misery, and death. I hear the approaching thunder that, one day, will destroy us too, I feel the suffering of millions. And yet, when I look up at the sky, I somehow feel that this cruelty too shall end, and that peace & tranquility will return once again."
Alexander Lo
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 11:56:16 PM

Neurons: 86,669
Free ebook in pdf or epub format can be found and download on the web, just google "the diary of anne frank free ebook".