The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Insurgents Take Second Iraqi City Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 82,992
Insurgents Take Second Iraqi City

Insurgents from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS), an offshoot of al-Qaeda several thousand fighters strong that controls considerable territory in eastern Syria and western and central Iraq, have attacked cities around western and northern Iraq this week and taken two of them, Mosul and Tikrit. As many as 500,000 people fled Mosul after the city was attacked. Even security forces reportedly fled. But government leaders have vowed to repel the militants. More...
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 7:28:34 AM

Neurons: 22,062
The bad guys are now threatening to take Baghdad, the capital.

Some people think that the West (including the United States) will be forced to intervene with air strikes, etc.

The experts say that the bad guys already have eastern Syria. If they take Iraq, the bad guys will control a large area.

The experts say that the West must defeat the bad guys before they attack the United States and Europe.

Some experts, however, say that we should let the Arabs handle the situation. Those experts say that the West has already lost enough soldiers and spent enough money in Iraq.
MechPebbles
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:21:24 AM

Neurons: 226,313
Did you see the face of the man who was being led away to be shot? I didn't find the execution scene frightening as it was just somewhat of a silhouette. But the part when he was trailing his executioner was really awful. The announcer said he was terrified but the video didn't show that. The whole thing seemed clinical and matter-of-fact, which made it even more scary.
MechPebbles
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:56:41 AM

Neurons: 226,313
I'm now reading the book The Endgame: The Inside Story of the Struggle for Iraq, from George W. Bush to Barack Obama by Michael R. Gordon and General Bernard E. Trainor. The book shows how impossible the situation in Iraq was, especially the blood feud between the Shiites and the Sunnis. The governments's pro-Shiite stance was unbelievable. They would choose insurgents from the Shiite Sadrist terrorist group to be policemen and soldiers who would then kidnap Sunnis, many of whom were never seen again. The government's anti-Sunni policy drove many Sunnis into the arms of the Sunni terrorist organization, Al-Qaeda.

One especially chilling moment that showed the Government's stand was in 2006 when the al-Askari mosque in Samarra, one of the holiest sites in Shia Islam was bombed by Al-Qaeda. The Americans were concerned that Shiites, in their fury, would inflict a bloodbath on Sunnis, so they went to see the then Prime Minister, Ibrahim al-Jaafari. His response? "The people, he [Jaafari] said, needed to let off some steam" (The Endgame, page 192). When the Americans protested, Jaafari responded, " 'Mr Ambassador, you have been here how many months?' Jaafari asked. 'You know Iraq better than I do?' " (pages 192-193).

Another eye-opening series of incidents occurred in Al-Qaeda strongholds when American and Iraqi forces were patrolling the streets. American military vehicles would be allowed to pass over IEDs unmolested but those explosives would be detonated when Iraqi vehicles, trailing the American ones passed over them.

There was one particular incident that was very sobering. An American vehicle was blown up and when American soldiers were getting survivors/bodies out, someone among the watching public asked an American soldier if the victims were American or Iraqi. When he was told they were Iraqi, he shook his head sadly and said, "This was never meant to be."
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 12:58:47 PM

Neurons: 22,062
MechPebbles wrote:
When the Americans protested, Jaafari responded, " 'Mr Ambassador, you have been here how many months?' Jaafari asked. 'You know Iraq better than I do?' " (pages 192-193).

In other words: "Mr. Ambassador, you are wasting your time and your men and your money in trying to change us. You cannot change what we are."
GhettoChild
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:33:54 PM

Neurons: 1,492
One of al-qaeda cells is posing a lot of problem here in Africa, Nigeria to be precise. The entire north is almost gone. Some weeks ago over 200 school girls were kidnapped. They want the federal government to release their men in prison in exchange for the girls. Many people deserted their homes for fear of being bombed. What a pity! Nigeria, a nation bound in "freedom, peace and unity" as its "national anthem" reads is now witnessing the worst thing ever. The labour of our past heroes are now in vain. We've lost the freedom, the freedom our forefathers laid their lives for, not to white men this time around but to "Boko Haram" a cell of al-qaeda. I wish my brother didn't go out that day, who knows, he might still be very much alive. But we lost him. We lost him to "Boko Haram" God, please do have mercy. I love Nigeria and hate boko haram together with its progenitor al-qaeda. I hate them all and can't wait to avenge my brother's death. I can't just wait even if it will cost me my life. It's a sacrifice of brotherhood! I miss you so much brother.
The Realist
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 7:46:55 PM

Neurons: 4,920
Someone always want what someone else got. War is such a selfish word.
Tovarish
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 5:21:45 PM

Neurons: 39,933
Possibly it was predictable that there would be civil unrest in Iraq when the Allies pulled out, now it is the survival of the fittest or the best armed.

Our Prime minister is in the US at the moment, when the Iraqi government has requested air support from the US with the surge of the ilamists.

There will not be 'boots on the ground' but there could be drones in the sky.
The Melarki troops are laying down their arms and uniforms as they abandon their posts.