The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Black Music Month Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, June 9, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,693
Black Music Month

Black Music Month is observed in June each year in the United States. Created by music executives Kenny Gable and Ed Wright as a way to celebrate and promote black music, the special designation has been proclaimed each year since 1979 by the president. At the White House in Washington, D.C., a concert and reception is held each year that features various genres of African-American music, including R&B, jazz, blues, and hip hop. Throughout the country, public and private organizations host numerous educational programs and cultural festivals recognizing the achievements of black musicians. More...
monamagda
Posted: Monday, June 9, 2014 2:22:34 PM

Neurons: 5,438,488
Black Music Month
It may seem like every day is the time to celebrate the musical contributions of African-Americans, thanks in no small part to the never ending amount of innovative, exciting music that is recorded and released. But, actually, since then-President Jimmy Carter announced it on June 7, 1979, June has been the month designated as the time to formally honor it.
TheParser
Posted: Monday, June 9, 2014 5:14:29 PM

Neurons: 22,062
The 1960's were a tumultuous time in the United States (I remember it as if it were yesterday).

But the best thing was "crossover" music, a mixture of African-American soul music + pop music.

Even today at the age of 77, I cannot keep from dancing whenever I hear music from the 1960's.

That music was touching and sentimental.

Nothing like today's rap "music."
Absurdicuss
Posted: Monday, June 9, 2014 7:53:28 PM

Neurons: 30,361

I hate to think what we would be missing if not for the musical contributions...nay...creations! of our African kin.

It cannot be overstated.

"Now" is the eternal present.
excaelis
Posted: Monday, June 9, 2014 11:51:56 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Every month is black music month, for cryin' out loud ! What is wrong with these people that they have to make an official, funded, sponsored educational event out of everything. Way to suck the life out of it. Just listen....

Sanity is not statistical