The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Walt Whitman (1819) Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 87,066
Walt Whitman (1819)

Whitman was an innovative American poet whose works dealt overtly with topics like sexuality while celebrating the collective experience of an idealized, democratic American life. In 1855, he published at his own expense Leaves of Grass, a volume of 12 poems. It was a commercial failure but became one of the most influential volumes of poetry in the history of American literature. Whitman's much-recited poem "O Captain! My Captain!" was written as a tribute to what US president? More...
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 8:15:53 AM

Neurons: 5,680,887
"O Captain! My Captain!"

Whitman looked for a “Redeemer President of These States,” who would come out of the real West, the log hut, the clearing, the woods, the prairie, the hillside.” This "Redeemer President" appeared six years later in the form of Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln did not disappoint his poet admirer and gained stature as Lincoln's presidency progressed and as the North won the Civil War, preserving the Union.

It was Lincoln's death, however, that affected Whitman the most, who memorialized the greatest president in United States History with "O Captain! My Captain!"
LucOneOff
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 10:36:14 AM

Neurons: 696,826
I think president Lincoln was a really great man for all mankind. I couldn't be more then agree with Whitman.