The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Happiness in this world, when it comes, comes incidentally. Make it the object of pursuit, and it leads us a wild-goose... Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 89,022
Happiness in this world, when it comes, comes incidentally. Make it the object of pursuit, and it leads us a wild-goose chase, and is never attained. Follow some other object, and very possibly we may find that we have caught happiness without dreaming of it.

Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804-1864)
The Realist
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 12:38:10 AM

Neurons: 4,920
Happiness does seems to come more often when one try not to pursue it.
capitán
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 12:39:47 AM

Neurons: 27,109
Reminds me of...
"Succes usually comes to those
who are too busy to be looking for it."

Henry David Thoreau
moniquester
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 12:40:27 AM

Neurons: 87,227
Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it eludes you. But if you sit quietly, it comes and sits softly on your shoulder. - Thoreau

Happiness is the by-product of a life well lived. The surest way to attain happiness, in my experience, is to be there for others in their hour of need. Lend a helping hand, a caring ear, a soothing voice. Give to the poor. Visit the sick and lonely. Visit those in prison, or write a letter to someone who is shut in. Give your material goods to those who are less fortunate than you are. All these things have afforded me much happiness in my life.

Winning money in the lottery has not made me happy. Prestigious positions have not given me happiness. Buying myself stuff hasn't done it either. Happiness comes from free giving of self to others.

One of the unhappiest people I know is a man who buys over $500.00 in lottery tickets every week, always hoping to win the big prize. He is addicted to gaming, and has become its slave. He sometimes wins a few thousand dollars, but he is never satisfied. He is a man to be pitied.
Andrey R.
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 12:51:06 AM

Neurons: 29,208
"Happiness in this world, when it comes, comes incidentally. "

Sorry, but no. A resounding "No", in fact. At least, not until we agree on what "happiness" truly is.

Put me in the camp of those who subscribe to the credo "Freedom comes from within"; happiness is a product/consequence of self-mastery. Any ass can be led to dull merriment of the moment (one form of "happiness"?). Divine bliss, the unyielding buoy that can sustain one in his/her brief window of existence, is drawn from the raw, chaotic soil of one's self, and it is the centerpiece formed from this clay. It is not a product of chance.

"Swing and a miss!", Hawthorne (at least, without context). However,

"[...]Make it the object of pursuit, and it leads us a wild-goose chase,..."

I find this to be wholly accurate.
Mr Epstein
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:08:17 AM

Neurons: 354,485
The Realist wrote:

Happiness is the goal of all living humans.

Aristole
Mr Epstein
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:08:17 AM

Neurons: 354,485
The Realist wrote:

Happiness is the goal of all living humans.

Aristole
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:21:13 AM

Neurons: 344,210
If you dream endlessly of an object, expectations become inflated. When you attain it, you might be disappointed.

What's more, the race is exciting, not the finish line.
kaori
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 2:00:07 AM

Neurons: 153,029
Happiness is not what you find or gain. It is what you feel.
It is all around us, but we are too ignorant to notice that.
I guess we need to stop chasing a rainbow (happiness) and try to enjoy watching (feeling) it.

Just my opinion.
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 5:19:17 AM

Neurons: 274,444
To understand happiness is as simple as these few lines...

As the wind does blow

Across the trees, I see the

Buds blooming in May
Pieter_Hove
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:01:08 AM

Neurons: 651,573
desiderata wrote:
Happiness is not what you find or gain. It is what you feel.
It is all around us, but we are too ignorant to notice that.
I guess we need to stop chasing a rainbow (happiness) and try to enjoy watching (feeling) it.

Just my opinion.

That is why I searched, as just one example, for the word "to feel" ("voelen" in the dutch language) on a website that allowed Flemish voters (in Belgium, Europe) to search for the words they thought to be important in a political party's program for the elections of last Sunday, to vote for Europe, and also to vote in the local Belgian elections. So we wouldn't have to read pages and pages of political party's programs. "To feel" I think is a synonym for "to let one's instinct work from time to time". And it worked. I chose for Gr**n. See http://www.programmas14.be .

Indeed, to chase a rainbow is a tough job. To try to feel it is already a big thing.
walirlan
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:04:26 AM

Neurons: 253,078
I really like this quote. It's true. It's quite similar to love.
Love also comes when we are not looking for it. But when it comes, it makes us very happy.
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 10:02:13 AM

Neurons: 344,210
walirlan wrote:
I really like this quote. It's true. It's quite similar to love.
Love also comes when we are not looking for it. But when it comes, it makes us very happy.

Miss Cleo's Psychic Hotline told me to stop looking for love and it would find me!

Sage wisdom for only $3.99/min. First 3 minutes free.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 6:56:00 PM

Neurons: 30,654

Monique - love your post. Not to go all holy roller but there is a Biblical passage that speaks to this philosophy.

Luke 6:38 -"Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure-- pressed down, shaken together, and running over. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return." Jesus

My two cents:

Happiness is a state of heart and mind. Chasing it in the world is like searching the yard for a gold coin that is in your pocket. Give it away and you'll always have more than you can keep.

Miriam...
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 11:03:52 PM

Neurons: 12,634
To Roochie: I actually agree with your beautifully written post. However, my personal feeling is that 'happiness' is not a 'given' in the equation of life...it is a 'variable'. And, I think that happiness is 'incidental'. And that going through life trying to be in a constant state of 'happiness' is exhaustingly disappointing, and one feels dissolutioned--perhaps even bitter--and often leads one to the endless pursuit of the "dull merriment" that you write of, in an attempt to keep the 'party going'...For one never wants the evening to end, and the night to descend, because they do not have--or have lost--or have never found that inner buoy that holds and sustains them through the night. Tragically, without this inner buoy you write of, when one realizes and experiences that he or she must face their aloneness, or their despair, or the empty void that exists inside of them, or their mind numbing, soul deadening relationships and existence, despite all their efforts, one seeks to escape with drugs, alcohol, or whatever other addiction one might have. And when real happiness falls upon their head from some unforeseen phenomenon, one is not receptive to its joy. One is so caught up in a preconceived notion of what happiness is, and, unable to enter into the 'experience' of it, something like the the sudden realization that snowflakes are falling for the first time this year has no affect on the person's psyche what so ever.
excaelis
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 3:45:51 AM

Neurons: 32,652
I think you may be on to something here, chev.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 8:29:35 PM

Neurons: 30,654

I like my post the best...Applause