The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Verbal forms question Options
blackswan
Posted: Saturday, January 9, 2010 1:51:33 PM

Neurons: 9
Hello, I don't speak Hebrew, but I would like to ask some questions about some words I'm interested in that I have been searching with online dictionaries.
The first one is: טש
Does it mean something written just as it is? When I looked it up in an online dictionary it gave the following result: ליטוש which it translated as "to abandon, forsake". But when I looked up ליטוש in the same dictionary, it told me that it means "polishing"! While if I look up the translation for "to abandon", it gives this one: לעזוב
So I wondered: is טש a verbal form of the verb: ליטוש, and if yes, what is its translation? Or is it unrelated to this verb?
Also, when I searched for the translation of דא I got this: לדאות, meaning "to glide, soar". So I assumed that דא is a form of this verb, but I don't know which one (for example: first person - present tense, third person - simple past etc.).
Same problem with this other one: פן, which apparently means "lest", but could also be a form of the verb: להפנות.
Thank you.
MiTziGo
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:43:33 PM

Neurons: 6,142
Unfortunately, I am not fluent enough to give you a complete answer, however, I may be able to help you a bit with just some background information. In Hebrew, as a general rule, all words have a three letter root. For example: .ג.ד.ל, a root related to words for "grow" or "size," takes many forms depending on tense, gender, and part of speech.
גדל - gadal = grew
גדול - gadol = big
גדולה - gdula = greatness
גדילה - gdila = growing
גידל - gidel = he grew
הגדיל - higdil = enlarged, made big
מגדלת - magdelet = magnifying
מגדל - migdal = tower

In some forms of some words, one letter of the root is dropped (ex: הָלַךְ - "walked" or "went" becomes ללכת (the ה is dropped) "to go" or "to walk."

Basically, without knowing that third letter in the root of your words, it becomes hard for me to give you a concrete answer. Maybe someone who is more fluent can help you, or maybe you can find out the full roots of your words and post again.