The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

"Nagged to Death" Not Just a Figure of Speech Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,253
"Nagged to Death" Not Just a Figure of Speech

Frequent arguments with your partner, children, friends, or other relatives could be taking years off your life. Research shows an association between stressful social relations and increased mortality risk. Men appear to be more vulnerable to the effects of this sort of stress than women. The effects are also stronger in those who are unemployed. The findings are not all that surprising given that stress is known to have physiological effects that increase the risk of cardiovascular disease, but they may cause us to think twice the next time we find ourselves on the verge of nagging a loved one over some minor matter. More...
moniquester
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:34:24 AM

Neurons: 87,227
I believe that stress is the major cause for heart disease and cancer and many other illnesses for which we have been blaming a myriad of other causes. We need to realize that the way we treat one another plays a MAJOR, not a minor role in our illnesses--all of which (from the common cold to cancer) are stress-related. Stress is the # 1 killer of our time, and the major cause of absenteeism. Stress needs to be addressed, more so than the illnesses it causes.

Be the change you wish to see in the world!-Gandhi
LucOneOff
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:38:23 AM

Neurons: 696,826
I'm sure of that. The oldest people I know are the gentler, calmer and kinder ones too.
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 1:05:16 PM

Neurons: 5,592,806
The body's stress-response system is usually self-limiting. Once a perceived threat has passed, hormone levels return to normal. As adrenaline and cortisol levels drop, your heart rate and blood pressure return to baseline levels, and other systems resume their regular activities.

But when stressors are always present and you constantly feel under attack, that fight-or-flight reaction stays turned on.

The long-term activation of the stress-response system — and the subsequent overexposure to cortisol and other stress hormones — can disrupt almost all your body's processes. This puts you at increased risk of numerous health problems, including:

Anxiety
Depression
Digestive problems
Heart disease
Sleep problems
Weight gain
Memory and concentration impairment
That's why it's so important to learn healthy ways to cope with the stressors in your life.

By Mayo Clinic Staff
excaelis
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 7:56:11 PM

Neurons: 32,652
I think my dad stayed alive so long just to irritate my mother.

Sanity is not statistical
Professor
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 12:17:01 AM

Neurons: 42,160
moniquester wrote:
I believe that stress is the major cause for heart disease and cancer and many other illnesses for which we have been blaming a myriad of other causes. We need to realize that the way we treat one another plays a MAJOR, not a minor role in our illnesses--all of which (from the common cold to cancer) are stress-related. Stress is the # 1 killer of our time, and the major cause of absenteeism. Stress needs to be addressed, more so than the illnesses it causes.

I agree. Some stress may be very useful and needed in order to achieve, but most stress is harmful. I just lost a very good friend yesterday from cancer and I believe it was do to too much stress which wore down the immune system. His business was failing and he owed people money. He lost his home and was struggling. But in the end he lost it all.

We all have cancer in our body but healthy people have an immune system that recognizes the cancerous cells and destroy them before they metastasize into tumors.

"You reveal your character by what you do with what you have."