The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Miyoshi Umeki (1929) Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, May 8, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,720
Miyoshi Umeki (1929)

Umeki was an Academy Award-winning, Japanese-born actress best known for her roles as Katsumi in the 1957 film Sayonara and as Mrs. Livingston, the housekeeper, in the TV series The Courtship of Eddie's Father. In 1958, she became the first Asian performer to win an Academy Award when she won an Oscar for her role in Sayonara. She also played the role of Mei Li in both the Broadway and film versions of Flower Drum Song. Where did Umeki begin her performing career? More...
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, May 8, 2014 12:38:47 PM

Neurons: 5,442,204
Although she projected the typical Japanese female stereotype of humbleness, delicacy and subservience in most of her prime film and stage roles, beguiling, tiny-framed Miyoshi Umeki was nevertheless an assertive scene-stealer. This docile and deceptive-looking talent with the cropped hair and heart-shaped face radiated charm and innocence so effortlessly, she managed to make history at Academy Awards time as the first Asian performer to receive an acting Oscar for her superb work in the tragic post-WWII film drama Sayonara (1957).

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0880855/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm
Henry Martinez
Posted: Thursday, May 8, 2014 4:58:53 PM

Neurons: 1,811
Everything you said Monamagda was so true. I was a kid but I fell in love with her personality and the image she projected. She was extremely talented and possessed the fortitude to fight for what she wanted and she had the talent to back it up. Many times I thought of her and wondered what happened to her. I Hope her later years were good for her. I think she had tremendous courage and would face her destiny with great dignity.

Notherethere