The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Forensics Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 85,557
Forensics

Forensics is the science and practice of examining physical evidence in order to resolve legal issues, particularly those related to crimes. It comprises a range of scientific disciplines, like forensic toxicology, which focuses on the effects of drugs and toxins on the body, and forensic pathology, which aims to establish cause of death through examination of the corpse. Popular TV shows glamorizing forensics have given viewers unrealistic expectations of the field, a phenomenon dubbed what? More...
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 4:43:33 AM

Neurons: 1,688,222
As a boy, after reading short stories about Sherlock Holmes by sir Arthur Conan Doyle, I was very much excited by the discovery that police investigation might be tantamount to scientific research. Ever since then, I am very much interested in forensics.
Luker4
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 4:52:43 AM

Neurons: 24,283
"Lab geeks" - the name sometimes used in American TV
Dr. Mohammed Albadri
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 5:25:10 AM

Neurons: 76,208
Forensic Science is the application of all sciences to the law, both civil and criminal. It ranges from archaeology to zoology and its application covers all types of offence from arson to money laundering and tax evasion. The scientific investigation of crime through rational, practical and valid methods provides an unbiased and uncompromising service to the Justice System.
walirlan
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 6:05:44 AM

Neurons: 253,078
It's a very interesting topic. You can spend all your life and still there will be much to learn because everyday some new technology is added to this field. Definitely Forensic Science is a great help to discover crimes!
curmudgeonine
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 9:35:31 AM

Neurons: 170,308
I always thought the term only applied to legal investigations surrounding murders and such, and so was surprised to learn that there are also forensic audits. Likely many more uses for the term, too.
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 2:06:23 PM

Neurons: 5,526,580
Forensic Science and Crime Scene Investigation: Past, Present, and Future

Great advances in police science have occurred from 1900-1999. Many of these advancements are taken for granted these days, but imagine the challenges faced by crime scene investigators 50 or more years ago. The law enforcement agencies of the past did not have routine access to the amount information that can be gathered and analyzed from a crime scene.
Today's crime scene investigation "tools of the trade" range from the downright boring to the technologically astounding, but they have all greatly impacted how evidence is collected, documented, and analyzed.

Nice article! worthy reading :

http://www.forensicscienceresources.com/CSIPPF.htm
thar
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 2:34:40 PM

Neurons: 82,809
curmudgeonine wrote:
I always thought the term only applied to legal investigations surrounding murders and such, and so was surprised to learn that there are also forensic audits. Likely many more uses for the term, too.

I know you have forensic musicologists - people who look at music to give an opinion on who actually wrote it; or whether it infringes copyright on something already written. That sounds like quite a fun job, to me!

William39
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 5:24:13 PM

Neurons: 137,991
Dark is enlightened into conclusion! !!
johnfl
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 5:50:53 PM

Neurons: 404,321
HOW LONG DO FINGERPRINTS LAST FOR ID. ON CARDBOARD BOXES, FOR EXAMPLE , WOULD PRINTS BE DETECTABLE ON A BOX 20-30 YRS LATTER? THANKS.
Cpprasad
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 12:06:28 AM

Neurons: 8,476
i learned something called forensics which is the study and examination of physical evidence

Cpprasad