The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

"fort de toute" "gouvernaises" (Quebec French) Options
KMPageau
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:15:49 PM

Neurons: 193
Hello.

I'm having a hard time understanding a speaker in a couple of short sections of a 13-minute CBC radio tape online at the CBC archives which I am transcribing and translating to English for personal reasons. This is NOT a paid translation job. However, it must be absolutely accurate, as it's for political research. This French radio show is discussing the 1972 manifesto of the Parti Québécois, entitled "Quand nous serons vraiment chez nous". The manifesto contains a plan for a new form of government in an independent Quebec after "secession":

Source: http://archives.radio-canada.ca/emissions/578-6159/page/10/

At about the 2-minute, 44-second mark, a man by the name of Pizarro is speaking. I think he's originally hispanic or Portuguese-speaking, and this complicates the fact that he also talks too fast and mumbles. In order to translate this, I have to first make a correct transcript. Out of the 13-minute radio broadcast, I've got a couple of passages that are quite unclear, and a few spots with terminology or expressions I can't come to grips with in English so as to get a fluid translation. In addition, I'm having brain fatigue. If anyone could help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

My attempted French transcript:

Quote:
Pour ce faire il faut se disposer d’un pouvoir réél. Or, (il est fort de toute) que l’accession au droit des gouvernaises, il n’y a pas de pouvoir (si les élections dans quel que soit les gouvernes) que (l’accession au droit du gouverner) (que) fournisse des moyens réels pour accomplir ces changements-là ; c’est-à-dire pour mettre au pas les grands trusts internationaux (pour c- t- aux cartels du petrol ?) – euh – pour euh – mettre l’ordre dans ces secteurs (des finances qui est – bon – le système bancaire, compagnies des assurances, etc. --

My attempted English translation:

Quote:
To carry this off, one must have genuine power. Now, (il est fort de toute [?]) que l’accession au droit des gouvernaises, there is no power (si les elections dans quel que soit les gouvernes) que (l’accession au droit du gouverner) (que) furnish real means to accomplish these changes. Which is to say to put a stop to the international combines (pour c- t- aux cartels du petrol ?) – uh – to uh – put into order (sort out) such sectors as finance which is – ok, the banking system, insurance companies, etc. –

There's no French word "gouvernaises", and what does he mean by "l'accession au droit des gouvernaises"? This seems to be a mixture of Spanish and French or Portuguese and French, by a fellow whose French is not his main language.

By the way, I am also translating parts of the document under discussion, "Quand nous serons vraiment chez nous". I scanned the 140-page manifesto in a local university law library, and I've PDF'd it. If you wish to consult this document to clarify what they are talking about in the French radio show, I've uploaded it, and it's available online here:

http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/5708272/file.html

Thanks, if you can help me to clear this up.