The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Childhood Hurts Persist for Decades Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 87,066
Childhood Hurts Persist for Decades

Yet another study, this one the first to look at the effects of childhood bullying in late adulthood, is adding to the growing body of evidence on the persistent and pervasive social, physical, and psychological effects of bullying. At age 50, people who were frequent victims of childhood bullying remained at increased risk of mental disorders such as depression and anxiety. They also tended to report a lower quality of life. The findings suggest that we never really outgrow the trauma of bullying but instead carry it with us throughout our lives. More...
Dr. Mohammed Albadri
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:28:23 PM

Neurons: 77,915
d'oh! d'oh!
GreenBanana
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:55:49 PM

Neurons: 20,818
They also turn out bitter, useless, hostile, and resentful, just like I did. It's too late to help us now. Might as well focus on the spoiled youth culture that has so much monetary spending power. All I've got is fucking wasted time.
William39
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:14:10 PM

Neurons: 137,991
Very informative but I believe the trauma is reversible, as much psychological problem out there, we need some dose of self-comprehension and productive attitude toward the solution, and then, reap the new "a course of action determined or decided on".

welcoming the resolution ever!!!
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:50:40 PM

Neurons: 5,680,887
Welcome to Team Bullied -ENDING THE CYCLE OF FEAR!!!
http://teambullied.com/

Team Bullied is a community for all those who want to make a difference in the problem of bullying. The community brings together the expertise of leading authorities and the candid stories of people dealing firsthand with peer victimization.

Bullying is not just limited to kids. Millions of adults in the workplace are targeted and attacked by colleagues. Whether you are an adult or a child, Team Bullied can offer you a supportive place to find resources and strategies that provide relief and education.

Our goal is to offer proven strategies and concrete tools for teaching people how to speak up and carry themselves with confidence; call each other out on cruelty; resolve conflict; cope with teasing, taunting, physical abuse, and cyberbullying; and be smart consumers of technology and media.

Team Bullied was created by Carrie Goldman, award-winning author of Bullied: What Every Parent, Teacher, and Kid Needs to Know About Ending the Cycle of Fear (Harper Collins).
Marguerite
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:30:02 PM

Neurons: 23,973
I'll never forget the bullying I was witness to as a student in the playground--playground indeed--more like a snake pit. The teachers just ignored it and in many cases the bullies were rewarded with positions of authority such as hall monitors. Stopping bullying should be the civil right issue of our time.
GreenBanana
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:53:17 PM

Neurons: 20,818
monamagda wrote:
Welcome to Team Bullied -ENDING THE CYCLE OF FEAR!!!
http://teambullied.com/

Team Bullied is a community for all those who want to make a difference in the problem of bullying. The community brings together the expertise of leading authorities and the candid stories of people dealing firsthand with peer victimization.

Sounds like spam. What's Colombia interested in American bullying for? All I see from that site are people confidently stating they want to "make a difference," but I don't see any clear victims here. Reminds me of a past article on TFD regarding the notion of environmentalists who're only interested in helping the cute endangered species.

"Workshops" and "events"? Is this a summer camp, or are they actually interested in tackling the in-depth and highly involved responsibility of actually finding adult victims of bullying and somehow granting them their lost years back? Youth is a crucial stage in a human being's development, and it was tarnished forever for these people. How in the hell can they fix being a social outcast?

You can't possibly guard these people from continual invalidation by complete strangers everywhere they go in life. Even today, labeling people as autistic and making fun of them for this is rising in popularity. There are too many bullies.
PRTIMEUPR
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:39:07 AM

Neurons: 26,055
GreenBanana i'm in your corner, teambully makes bullying sound like you fell down and scraped your knee in the playground (rub a little dirt on it and you,ll be fine)
when in fact it leaves deep scars in a childs psychological makeup.When your a kid your brain is like a sponge with little h2o in it,and it becomes filled with negativity both mental and physical,it can and does manifest into nothing but heartache and more important headache.
Alice M Toaster
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:34:37 AM

Neurons: 1,389,383
I was surprised by the information in this article, and it wasn't until I read it that I began to realize the effects that bullying has had on me. I wasn't hugely picked on, and I'd always thought that I had learned from the experiences. Both of the forgoing are true, but now this article is allowing me to see aftermath in more detail.

I'm still processing the information, and I want to just get some comments out there for now.

(P.S. I tried to look at that website, but my computer doesn't seem to be willing to go there, so I'll just take GreenBanana's word on it.)

Thank you, Daemon.