The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

US Gaining Ground in Fight against Hospital-Acquired Infections Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,100
US Gaining Ground in Fight against Hospital-Acquired Infections

The risk of contracting a hospital-acquired infection is dropping in the US, and that is good news, but the statistics are still far from comforting. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately one in every 25 patients in the US will pick up an infection at a hospital or similar medical facility. This means that over the course of a year, about 600,000 patients come down with a nosocomial, or hospital-acquired, infection. Of them, about 74,000 end up battling more than one. Still, this is significantly down from the 1970s, when an estimated 2.1 million patients a year would develop a hospital-acquired infection, and even from the 1990s, when this number was about 1.7 million. More...
TheParser
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2014 7:52:45 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Believe it or not, if a doctor or nurse walks into the room without washing his/ her hands, patients are advised to ask him / her to do so.

I would not dare ask a healthcare professional such a question!

I do not think that most patients would have the courage to do so, either.
Hope2
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2014 10:56:50 AM

Neurons: 16,769
And take your daily probiotics. Your immune system is in your digestive system. Not only are you less likely to need the hospital, your body will be prepared if you have to go there.

I have only been in hospital twice and not recently so I don't know what I would say to my doctor there as he/she walked into the room. As Parser says it takes courage to ask. In the office my doctor always washes her hands before touching me. She just does it. The sink is there in the examining room.

I have my chiropractor and masseuse trained to wash their hands before touching me. I ask the nurse not to palpate my vein again after the alcohol swab. I asked the eye doctor and dentist once and they assured me that the equipment is wiped between patients and they are careful to change gloves if interrupted.

It is our body and our health so we have to be proactive. A neighbor of ours died of C-Difficile when he went into hospital with a broken limb. Patients and their heirs just settled a class action suit against the hospital for that outbreak. Doctors are human, have little time, and may forget. With all the sanitary gels around it should make it easier for them now.

So maybe place a bottle of gel on the tray in front of you and he/she will remember or say "Do you need this?"

Most of the trouble in the world is caused by people wanting to be important. T. S. Eliot
monamagda
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2014 11:48:58 AM

Neurons: 5,280,133
Hospital-Acquired Infections Cost $10 Billion a Year

Five most common health care-associated infections strike 440,000 U.S. patients each year

Hospital-Acquired Infections Cost $10 Billion a Year: Study
By Brenda Goodman
HealthDay Reporter
Read the article:

http://consumer.healthday.com/public-health-information-30/health-cost-news-348/hospital-acquired-infections-cost-10-billion-a-year-679761.html