The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Asbestos Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,958
Asbestos

Nowadays, the idea of being exposed to asbestos strikes fear in the hearts of most. But just a couple of generations ago, people embraced asbestos-containing materials for their fire-and corrosion-resistant properties. Asbestos—a product obtained from a family of fibrous hydrated silicates—was used in fireproofing, electrical insulation, and various other building materials as well as safety apparel, brake pads, and countless other products. When was it discovered to be a serious health hazard? More...
PRTIMEUPR
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2014 12:24:30 AM

Neurons: 26,055
Asbestos was found to cause lung problems as early as 1906 when miners were having health problems and dying young.mesothelioma has become a common word in the last few years although it was 1st diagnosed early in the 1900's.
curmudgeonine
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2014 8:16:06 AM

Neurons: 170,308
It's still being mined in Quebec, Canada
The United States government and asbestos industry have been criticized for not acting quickly enough to inform the public of dangers, and to reduce public exposure. In the late 1970s court documents proved that asbestos industry officials knew of asbestos dangers since the 1930s and had concealed them from the public.

As children in the 1960s, we were given asbestos to use as modelling clay at school.
Hope2
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2014 10:42:22 AM

Neurons: 16,769
Yes, Curmudgeonine.

And I was one of the art teachers who gave it to you. And I had used the dry powder that flew around and mixed it with water for all my rotary classes, several times a day. We also melted plastic into stabiles and then spray painted them gold! And used mercury and formaldehyde when I taught Science on rotary. Fortunately I then switched to teaching more benign subjects! (But between dental amalgams and these exposures, my immune system was severely damaged, and I have paid for that all these years.)

Once it was wet, you probably did not get much asbestos in your lungs but I don't really know about that.

Ticks me off to find out they already knew about it. I wonder when they knew about mercury. My dentist told me just a couple of years ago that it is still against the law in Canada for him to advise a patient not to have amalgams made of mercury placed in their mouths, and my dental insurance only covers up to the cost of amalgams. Disgraceful. And thimerosal is still used in certain vaccinations which are important for humans to have. I understand they have removed it from the vaccines of children here in Canada, but not some of the others because of the cost. It is always money, isn't it.

Rant over!

Most of the trouble in the world is caused by people wanting to be important. T. S. Eliot
monamagda
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2014 11:47:09 AM

Neurons: 5,671,500
Asbestosis
Definition
By Mayo Clinic Staff

Asbestosis (as-bes-TOE-sis) is a chronic lung disease caused by inhaling asbestos fibers. Prolonged exposure to these fibers can cause lung tissue scarring and shortness of breath. Asbestosis symptoms can range from mild to severe, and usually don't appear until many years after continued exposure.

Asbestos is a natural mineral product that's resistant to heat and corrosion. It was used extensively in the past in products such as insulation, cement and some floor tiles.

Most people with asbestosis acquired it on the job before the federal government began regulating the use of asbestos and asbestos products in the 1970s. Today, its handling is strictly regulated. Acquiring asbestosis is extremely
unlikely if you follow your employer's safety procedures. Treatment focuses on relieving your symptoms.

The effects of long-term exposure to asbestos typically don't show up for 10 to 40 years after initial exposure. Asbestosis signs and symptoms can include:

Shortness of breath
A persistent, dry cough
Loss of appetite with weight loss
Fingertips and toes that appear wider and rounder than normal (clubbing)
Chest tightness or pain
When to see a doctor

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/asbestosis/basics/symptoms/con-20019671