The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Larry Walters, Lawn Chair Pilot (1949) Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 85,557
Larry Walters, Lawn Chair Pilot (1949)

"Lawnchair Larry" was an American adventurer who built a homemade aircraft out of a patio chair and dozens of helium-filled weather balloons and lifted off from his girlfriend's Los Angeles backyard in July 1982. He quickly shot up to over 15,000 ft (4,572 m) and then drifted toward a nearby airport, where passing pilots reported him to the control tower. When he was ready to return to solid ground, he began shooting out the balloons with a pellet gun, but then he dropped it. What happened next? More...
curmudgeonine
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 10:12:59 AM

Neurons: 170,308
After 45 minutes in the sky, he shot several balloons, and then accidentally dropped his pellet gun overboard. He descended slowly, until the balloons' dangling cables got caught in a power line, causing a 20-minute blackout in a Long Beach neighborhood. Walters was able to climb to the ground. I should remember this incident, but I don't.
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 11:54:16 AM

Neurons: 5,526,580
This reminds me about Father Adelir Antonio de Carli in Brazil who hoped to break a 19-hour record, flying with a cluster of helium balloons in order to raise money for a charity in his parish, built a rest-stop for truck drivers.

Rescuers find helium balloons belonging to missing Brazilian priest floating in the sea

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-561266/Rescuers-helium-balloons-belonging-missing-Brazilian-priest-floating-sea.html#ixzz2zLced7D4
Henry Martinez
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 9:18:59 PM

Neurons: 1,811
I lived in Long Beach at the time and remember when this happened very well. It really upset me to learn how he ended his life in such despair. I always wondered how or where he got the courage to attempt something that would terrify me. I just freaking hate how life shits on people.

Notherethere
excaelis
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:36:52 AM

Neurons: 32,652
I'm not sure courage is the mot juste. Cataclysmic stupidity seems more apropos.

Sanity is not statistical