The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Hundreds Still Missing in South Korea Ferry Disaster Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,253
Hundreds Still Missing in South Korea Ferry Disaster

Hundreds of people, many of them high school students on a field trip, are still missing after a South Korean ferry traveling from the northwestern port of Incheon to the southern resort island of Jeju capsized on Wednesday morning. There have been about 20 confirmed casualties so far, and at least 179 people have been rescued; still, more than half of the ferry's 475 passengers and crew remain unaccounted for. Rescue divers have attempted to enter the now-submerged floors of the five-story vessel, where they believe many of the missing may be trapped—and possibly alive in air pockets—but difficult conditions have prevented them from reaching those areas. More...
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 5:30:43 AM

Neurons: 1,725,344
Horrible tragedy again!
TheParser
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 6:27:07 AM

Neurons: 22,062
The media report that the captain may have fled the ship.

IF that is true (and, of course, the media are always full of lies), then the captain may elect to do what some Asian people have done in the past when they made a terrible mistake: apologize with their lives.
IMcRout
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 7:10:12 AM

Neurons: 563,379
He was indeed one of the first to leave ship.
Like other people, captains are not what they used to be.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
TheParser
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 7:39:25 AM

TRAGIC BULLETIN

Google News reports that one of the ship survivors was a vice-principal of the school.

He has just hanged himself.

I wish that people in authority here in the West had a similar sense of personal responsibility.

In the West, when powerful people (politicians, prosecutors, etc.) make a mistake, the most they do is say "Oops! Sorry!"

A lot of good that does!
thar
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 8:35:56 AM

Neurons: 83,484
Come on, that is not responsibility, that is just more tragedy.

But IF it is true about the captain, then he should be feeling true shame.
Unlike the deputy principal. Whatever he was feeling, he may not have neen guilty of anything except surviving.
What seems so tragic is that it appears so preventable. There was time. Assuming Korean safety regulations are reasonably strict and enforced, there would have been lifeboats and rafts. That is the worst part.
TheParser
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 9:22:06 AM

thar wrote:
Come on, that is not responsibility, that is just more tragedy.

I respect your opinion, of course.

Your opinion is, indeed, what most Westerners believe.

Nevertheless, I believe that the captain should do the "right thing."

If more politicians, prosecutors, etc., followed suit, you would see less injustice in this world.
monamagda
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 11:22:01 AM

Neurons: 5,592,806
On way to holiday island

Police said a high school vice principal who had been rescued from the ferry was found hanging Friday from a pine tree on Jindo, an island near the sunken ship where survivors have been housed. He was the leader of a group of 325 students travelling on the ship on a school excursion, and said in a suicide note that he felt guilty for being alive while more than 200 of his students were missing.

The school vice principal found hanging was identified as Kang Min-kyu. In his suicide note, he said he wanted to take responsibility for what happened because he had led the trip, according to police. He asked that his body be cremated and the ashes scattered at the accident site.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/south-korea-ferry-prosecutors-seek-arrest-warrant-for-captain-1.2614660
Marguerite
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 11:32:26 AM

Neurons: 23,973
How could anyone not agree with Parser. It is only when one takes responsbility and feels deep shame that change is possible.
The CEO of BP who is responsible for the death of eleven men and the death of the millions of souls in the sea and air was more concerned by his upcoming regatta. Ceo Tony Hayward said "There's no one who wants this over more than I do. I would like my life back." What about the life of everyone else.
With that kind of non-remorse what other diasters will BP preside over.
William39
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 8:51:57 PM

Neurons: 137,991
Just another tragedy in history! Lots of pain and many broken hearts! !! :(