The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Rod Steiger (1925) Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,253
Rod Steiger (1925)

American actor Rod Steiger got his start in the 1950s and quickly made a name for himself in Hollywood. Over the course of the next five decades, he appeared in dozens of motion pictures. He was thrice nominated for an Academy Award and won once—for his portrayal of Sheriff Bill Gillespie in In the Heat of the Night. As a teen, Steiger ran away from home to join the US Navy during World War II, but later his refusal to glorify war led him to turn down the title role in what film? More...
curmudgeonine
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 8:33:59 AM

Neurons: 170,308
He was offered the title role in Patton, but turned it down because he did not want to glorify war.
I think the first time I ever saw him was in the role of Mr. Joyboy in "The Loved One"
Marguerite
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 9:18:26 AM

Neurons: 23,973
I have always been arrested by Steiger's edgy, emotional performances. His character gives the viewer an unease sense of an impending explosion that in some way involves the viewer. He seems to choose deeper roles that explore that uncomfortable regions of our interior world, regions we would rather leave unexplored. Favorite role: Komarovsky in Doctor Zhivago-- a guy that everyone loves to hate though he is no better nor no worst than any of the other flawed characters that make up our world. That Rod Steiger won't glory war is what we need more of in a country that seems to accept violence as inevitable. Hollywood always makes the American soldier the good guy. If Germany had won the war, their film industry would have glorified the Nazi soldier. I wonder when Hollywood is going to start to glorify the Nazi soldier? I feel it coming.
monamagda
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 11:24:23 AM

Neurons: 5,592,806
He was offered the title role in Patton (1970) but refused it, saying, "I'm not going to glorify war". The role was then given to George C. Scott, who won the Oscar for it. Steiger calls this refusal his "dumbest career move".
Tuned down George C. Scott's Oscar-winning role in Patton (1970) because he didn't want to glorify war. Steiger later admitted he had made a big mistake.....

"I'm ambivalent about Patton (1970). I'm kind of a half-assed pacifist and I must tell you, you know, your philosophy is as strong as your feelings on a particular day. If you're feeling good and you've accomplished something, you can back your philosophies to the hilt. And I don't know what happened, but I decided I'm not going to glorify this thing. I wasn't going to glorify war . . .

I was a schmuck, because if I did "Patton" half as good as Mr. Scott [George C. Scott], I might have walked into The Godfather (1972). So that was a big mistake."
kenturner1
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 10:40:14 AM

Neurons: 11,475

**DISCLAIMER**
kenturner1
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 10:40:24 AM

Neurons: 11,475
He was a good actor.

**DISCLAIMER**