The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What is meant by the scarlet women of rome? Options
Anonymous_11
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 2:24:14 PM

Neurons: 1,870
What is meant by the scarlet women of Rome? It is used in this sentence «Laypreachers declaiming in the spirit agains the hideous machinations of the scarlet women of Rome» Thanks
dave freak
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 2:28:05 PM

Neurons: 6,658
Rome is the capital of Italy. The Vatican is an independent ecclesiastical state. Church state. Papal state. It's nothing to do with Italy.

'Scarlet' means 'bright red in colour'. Arriving to the conclusion, I think that that scarlet-haired women were the ladies of Rome. The context is still insufficient, though. It's just a guess of mine.
thar
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 2:45:34 PM

Neurons: 81,962
It is not a colour - it is your opinion of them.
Seriously, try tfd for idioms, it will help!

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/scarlet+women

reinsalkas
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 2:46:13 PM

Neurons: 11,678
Hi, I did some research and seems that "the scarlet woman of Rome" may mean the Holy See itself or the Catholic Church itself. This is an excerpt of what I found:

"17:4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet color, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication; (5) And upon her forehead was a name written: MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS, AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH. 6) And I saw the woman drunk with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus and when I saw her I wondered with great admiration.

Verses 4-6: Babylon is a figure of Rome and of paganism. The picture here is of a false religious power who gives birth to other false religions and works against true religion. This woman must be in contrast with the woman of chapter 12, who is arrayed with the sun and moon and has twelve stars on her head. There she represents the true church which issued forth Christ to the world. This scarlet woman therefore is a picture of the false church, who issues forth other false churches. The picture of overcoming the saints and killing them is the same as in Rev. 13 and Dan. 7. It is not hard to reach into history and call out the Papacy as a Roman religious power which killed many souls for having innocent but contradictory faith."

This was taken from http://www.ao.net/~fmoeller/scar-wom.htm; which has a link redirecting to this book book's site: http://www.ao.net/~fmoeller/revelati.htm

I don't know much of the matter anyway.

Regards,

I can't wait until everyone in the world is rational, or until just enough are rational to make a difference.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 3:44:15 PM

Neurons: 513,060
Scarlet (TFD):
flagrantly immoral or unchaste

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Haz
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 5:30:33 PM

Neurons: 34,034
I've always thought the expression 'scarlet woman' meant prostitute, whore and women of that ilk.
franziska_01
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:24:00 AM

Neurons: 14,026
I'd say that, in this context, "scarlet woman of Rome" means Popery and the Catholic Church as a whole, which, during XVI-XVII century, was indeed corrupt and obscurantist, selling spiritual salvation for money (a most grievous sin called simony), colluding with and wielding temporal power (at that period, Vatican State included most of Central Italy), obstructing science and burning alive would be reformers like Gerolamo Savonarola and the progressive philosopher Giordano Bruno.

"Fatti non foste a viver come bruti/ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza." Dante, Inferno
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 7:13:00 AM

Neurons: 205,120
If we put this together with the other query about "Methodist Synod chairmen sporting the purple", it shows a different colour (groan).

The clergy in Rome wear uniforms.

Pope = white and gold
Cardinal = cardinal red or scarlet
Bishop = purple
Priests = black

Cardinal Burke

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Anonymous_11
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:49:00 AM

Neurons: 1,870
Thanks a lot!