The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Brain Development Disruption in the Womb Linked to Autism Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,856
Brain Development Disruption in the Womb Linked to Autism

Autism has been the focus of intense study in recent years, but experts are still far from understanding the root causes of the disorder. For a time, childhood vaccines were thought to be the culprit, but this theory has since been largely debunked. Now scientists have found evidence that the foundations for autism may be set in the womb, during prenatal brain development. Autistic children's brains show a much higher incidence of cortical abnormalities in regions involved in language and social and emotional communication than their non-autistic peers. Abnormalities were identified in the brains of 90% of the children with autism studied, whereas only 10% of unaffected children exhibited abnormalities. More...
Ray41
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:59:17 AM

Neurons: 45,980
Foetal damage caused through alcohol, nicotine, prescription or recreational drugs, is becoming more prevalent in this so-called modern, liberated society.
It is during the period, from conception to birth, that the forming/developing baby is in the most vulnerable stage it will ever encounter in life.Think

One of the most common is foetal alcohol spectrum disorder which is readily avoidable with a little knowledge, and, a healthy respect for the future child being carried in the womb.

NB: AE spelling is 'fetal'. BE spelling is 'foetal'.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/foetal-alcohol-spectrum-disorder-probing-the-label/3203856

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_Alcohol_Spectrum_Disorder

While I live I grow.
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:13:41 PM

Neurons: 5,355,704
April is Autism Awareness Month, and autism’s rate continues to rise. Autism now affects one in every 68 kids — one in every 42 boys.
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:16:18 PM

Neurons: 5,355,704
Cindi Roche: Autism insights often come through the eyes of my son.

"My son is 27 now, and he will tell you he “is not a little boy and doesn’t need help.”

He has a part-time job at a local restaurant and is part of a staff who respects and accepts him for who he is. He is proud of his work, and he does an excellent job.

My son is right: He is not a little boy. But as his mother, I still have the need to protect him while letting him be independent."

I look back at his journey and all the people who supported his quest to be himself. There is the staff and his peers at Woodland Developmental Center. He graduated from Woodland in June 2013.

Competing in the Special Olympics also gave him a sense of self. He won many medals many times.

He is an artist. His poster won an award from the Michigan Council for Exceptional Children in 2011. At the awards ceremony, he was so proud that it was chosen from 180 other entries.

My son is brilliant in many areas. As Hans Asperger once said, “For success in art and science, a dash of autism is essential.”
Dr. Mohammed Albadri
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:14:55 PM

Neurons: 76,208
Autism still a rare disease I think it sometime may be causes by vicious spirits ( demons)????? .
Marguerite
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:52:03 PM

Neurons: 23,973
Thank you, Ray41, for that incredible and informative chart. Given the GMOs we eat and are unaware of their presence in our food, I am not surprised we have a growing number of children born brained damaged. I found this sentence from the BBC article informative "The finding that these defects occur in patches rather than across the entirety of cortex gives hope as well as insight about the nature of autism," and since it is in patches with early intervention and training the damage can be remediated. Let's hope it is not a pie-in-the-sky study.
Haz
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:41:02 PM

Neurons: 34,034
I won't say autism is 'brain damaged'; I call it 'brain different' and these children and adults have plenty to offer the world.

To monamagda I truly respect you as it is difficult to support a child who is different and you have to fight for every single bit of assistance to enable your child to deal with the world that sees him as 'damaged'.

As for blaming narcotics for this condition, until scientists get to understand how at least 50% of our brain works, we should not jump to conclusions and blame mothers.

As a mature mother (I had my only child in my mid-30s) I was painfully aware of the responsibilities of a mother towards her growing baby. I loved malt whiskey by the bottle but on deciding I wanted a child I was able to just stop drinking months prior to getting pregnant. Remember that many a man impregnates many a woman whilst in a drunken stupor after a night out on the town. Many women (and girls) are unaware that they are pregnant until the foetus is well and truly established. The first three months are the most vital for ensuring great health in the child but to my mind, the whole 40 weeks gestation is important.

I say a big salute to all those children who are born different and may we all live long enough to see them gain respect and worth in a world that is very intolerant.

ps: Demons!!!!! Please.
Fred Greenwell
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 7:16:00 PM

Neurons: 3
I have begun beekeeping and as I understand it... one of the problems with bees not returning to the hive is the environmental chemicals so disrupt their life processes that they get lost and can not find their way home. Today some articles say that there are 85,000 chemicals in the human bodies; astronomical number. Is it any wonder we are going the way of the honeybee?
kenturner1
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 7:11:00 AM

Neurons: 11,475
fascinating article.

**DISCLAIMER**