The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Stolen Masterpieces Found in Unlikely Place Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, April 5, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,361
Stolen Masterpieces Found in Unlikely Place

Nearly 40 years ago, an Italian factory worker bought two paintings at a lost-property auction for 45,000 lire (23.24 euros). He hung the works in his home, enjoying them but never knowing their true value until recently, when his son began probing their origins. The paintings in question are now believed to be a Paul Gauguin and a Pierre Bonnard that have a combined estimated value of between 10.6 million and 30.6 million euros. The works had been stolen from a London home in 1970 and then, for reasons that remain unknown, abandoned on a train in northern Italy. After no one stepped forward to claim the then-unidentified paintings, the state railway company put them up for auction. More...
Haz
Posted: Saturday, April 5, 2014 8:08:10 AM

Neurons: 34,034
This is a fantastic story. The man who bought the stolen art from the State in an auction appears hard-working and honest. He is a great lover of art and once it was discovered that the pictures were works of art he informed the police.

As the original millionaire owners are now dead and appear to have left no direct relatives, this man should be allowed to keep the art.

This looks like the universal intelligence at work.

johnfl
Posted: Saturday, April 5, 2014 12:37:28 PM

Neurons: 410,553
WHAT IS UNIVERSAL INTELLIGENCEd'oh! ?
Haz
Posted: Saturday, April 5, 2014 5:04:26 PM

Neurons: 34,034
It is what I believe in rather than 'a god'. It is the creator of all and everything and it is a part of us. That part of it that is us, you might call the soul, the subconscious or energy (that thing that makes you you. That is why each and everyone of us is the same, we are all part of the universal intelligence. If I hurt someone else, I hurt myself. If I help someone else, I help myself.

So in this particular case, a man who is hard-working and honest and who stays true to himself receives what he gives. This man loves the paintings, not what they are worth in cash.

No matter how hard your life may be if you keep being grateful for what you do have (rather than constantly moaning about what you don't have) you will get more and better of what you do have.

Positive attracts positive.

If you are negative about everything, you will attract negative things into your life.

I hope my beliefs are not offensive to you and I thank you for asking.

Desiree
Posted: Saturday, April 5, 2014 10:13:07 PM

Neurons: 202,140
Haz : I also believe in " an universal intelligence" that in a mysterious way , you receive what you give. There is a beautiful book written by Yoshinori Noguchi called "The law of the mirror"
that proposes certain steps to resolve and understand the problems of our lives.
Marguerite
Posted: Saturday, April 5, 2014 10:13:50 PM

Neurons: 23,973
I love Haz's message, a universal one for all men for all time.

As for the art work I find these type so stories so fascinating.