The Free Dictionary  
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

cough syrups Options
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 4:11:57 PM

I am very allergic to cold. I don't even know what that means exactly, but I have been told by doctors I am.
When I have cough, I am usually prescribed one of the three following cough syrups:
1. Zyrcold
2. Ascoril-D
3. Zedex

Now when it is dry cough, I was given Zedex. But strangely, I was never given Zyrcold for dry cough, even though on it is written it is meant for dry cough.
Again, I was also suggested Zyrcold and sometimes Elriz for my cold allergy. Now, can a cough syrup work to check sneezing as well?
Also, are these medicines ok to take? I mean, I had read somewhere that cough syrups don't work at all, instead they have many ill side effects. Is that so?

Gotcha, bud, again
Christine
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 6:53:57 PM

Allergic to cold? Are you saying that you have a cold. That is a virus ...isn't an allergic.

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

Tony Miller
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 12:37:18 AM

The most touted cure for a cough was a drug invented by Bayer Pharmaceutical.It was called Heroin. It was also a cure for Morphine addiction. Bayer assured the public it was not addictive. Google it. Of course that was a hundred years ago.
Stay away from drugs and try a Neti-pot. Sometimes it is post nasal drip that keeps the cough going.
Most of todays drugs and their side effects are as bad as the disease. They should be a last resort. Try more natural means first.
genome
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 3:00:54 AM

An allergic reaction is the human immune-system's over-reaction to an environmental stimulus. In your case the stimulus is extreme cold. A cold due to allergy does not require a cough syrup. It is relieved by an antihistamine such as cetirizine (CETZINE / ZYRTEC).

On the other hand if your cold is accompanied by cough - as sometimes it is - then you require a cough syrup.

If the cough is dry (or unproductive cough in medical lingo) - meaning that you do not have to expectorate mucus when coughing, a cough syrup containing an antitussive is prescribed. Codeine is one such antitussive which acts on the cough centre in the brain to pacify it.

If your cough is accompanied by mucus production (hence the medical term 'productive') then a cough syrup containing an expectorant is prescribed. Ammonium chloride and sodium citrate are examples of expectorants. They cause local irritation which by reflex action helps expectoration i.e. expelling mucus from the lungs.

Firstly all cough syrups are palliative in nature. This means that they only treat the symptom/s and do not treat the underlying cause.

Secondly, cough syrups cotaining both an anti-tussive and an expectorant are unscientific because their actions are mutually antagonistic. Medical companies offer these combinations purely for commercial reasons - and doctors prescribe them for the same reasons.

If the underlying cause - in your case, allergy - is treated it stops both the cough and sneezing as well becuase sneezing and running nose (rhinorrhoea in medical lingo) are symptoms of allergy.

Finally, almost all antihistamines including the one suggested above are relatively safe even in long term use. The main side effects they cause are dyness of the mouth and sedation but they vary from individual to individual. Some antihistamines cause an increase in appetite and some of them are likely to potentiate and increase alcohol tolerance. It is for the last reason that alcohol consumption is prohibited while on antihistamines.

Sedation is welcome when someone is suffering from persistent cough especially at night, but in view of their susceptibility to cause sedation, people using antihistamines should exercise caution while driving or operating heavy machinery.

N.B.: This is purely an academic reply for your information. Self medication (or medication suggested by a friendly chemist / druggist) may be dangerous. A little saving on doctor's consultation fees may sometimes prove costly in the long run. Just in case you might think that this advice is because of a vested interest, Genome is not a doctor!
Nibbles
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 1:08:38 PM

kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 7:36:06 AM

genome wrote:
An allergic reaction is the human immune-system's over-reaction to an environmental stimulus. In your case the stimulus is extreme cold. A cold due to allergy does not require a cough syrup. It is relieved by an antihistamine such as cetirizine (CETZINE / ZYRTEC).

On the other hand if your cold is accompanied by cough - as sometimes it is - then you require a cough syrup.

If the cough is dry (or unproductive cough in medical lingo) - meaning that you do not have to expectorate mucus when coughing, a cough syrup containing an antitussive is prescribed. Codeine is one such antitussive which acts on the cough centre in the brain to pacify it.

If your cough is accompanied by mucus production (hence the medical term 'productive') then a cough syrup containing an expectorant is prescribed. Ammonium chloride and sodium citrate are examples of expectorants. They cause local irritation which by reflex action helps expectoration i.e. expelling mucus from the lungs.

Firstly all cough syrups are palliative in nature. This means that they only treat the symptom/s and do not treat the underlying cause.

Secondly, cough syrups cotaining both an anti-tussive and an expectorant are unscientific because their actions are mutually antagonistic. Medical companies offer these combinations purely for commercial reasons - and doctors prescribe them for the same reasons.

If the underlying cause - in your case, allergy - is treated it stops both the cough and sneezing as well becuase sneezing and running nose (rhinorrhoea in medical lingo) are symptoms of allergy.

Finally, almost all antihistamines including the one suggested above are relatively safe even in long term use. The main side effects they cause are dyness of the mouth and sedation but they vary from individual to individual. Some antihistamines cause an increase in appetite and some of them are likely to potentiate and increase alcohol tolerance. It is for the last reason that alcohol consumption is prohibited while on antihistamines.

Sedation is welcome when someone is suffering from persistent cough especially at night, but in view of their susceptibility to cause sedation, people using antihistamines should exercise caution while driving or operating heavy machinery.

N.B.: This is purely an academic reply for your information. Self medication (or medication suggested by a friendly chemist / druggist) may be dangerous. A little saving on doctor's consultation fees may sometimes prove costly in the long run. Just in case you might think that this advice is because of a vested interest, Genome is not a doctor!

You are not a doctor??!! (I really was beginning to think if you could be my physician!)
In fact, I visit the doctor almost every time I catch cold! But the problem is, as you said, different doctors seem to be of different opinions.
Anyway, you were indeed a big help. Thanks a lot.

Gotcha, bud, again
Maura
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:28:49 AM

kisholoy mukherjee wrote:
. . . I mean, I had read somewhere that cough syrups don't work at all, instead they have many ill side effects. Is that so?

I read in my health newsletter that if taken as prescribed, sometimes the syrups help. It was also said to just get the generic version for Robitussin, as this is much less expensive and needs no Rx from the Dr.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:34:28 PM

Also is there anything for a sore throat accompanied by pain? As a natural remedy, I gurgle with warm saline water.

Gotcha, bud, again
kingfisher
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 4:55:14 PM

Cough syrups don't really work very well, if at all. In placebo-controlled trials they almost always fail to reach statistical significance. Sore throats are tough to fix, too. Chloraseptic cools the burn down for a while, but it tastes terrible. Sucrets work pretty well, but they also tend to numb the tongue.

"Tincture of time" cures common cold symptoms. Get plenty of rest and keep yourself hydrated.