The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Those who educate children well are more to be honored than parents, for these only gave life, those the art of living well. Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,798
Those who educate children well are more to be honored than parents, for these only gave life, those the art of living well.

Aristotle (384 BC-322 BC)
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:57:31 AM

Neurons: 244,016
It seems that back then an education was more helpful than now. What a pity! Perhaps Aristotles are in short supply...
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 1:04:02 AM

Neurons: 350,106
Daemon wrote:
Those who educate children well are more to be honored than parents, for these only gave life, those the art of living well.

If only most people understood what education actually represented in the mind of Aristotle.

Learning **how** to think and developing a rigorous intellectual self-defense mechanism was critical and this was part of the function of the first three of the seven liberal arts practiced and taught by Aristotle - grammar, logic and rhetoric. This system also mirrors the development of the human mind... humans start as data sponges with little logical ability, they then develop logic and eventually learn how to most effectively communicate the conclusions of their logic applied to the data... if they know the Trivium Method.

Once one learned how to think, one was ready to study number, number in space, number in time and number in space and time. That is, arithmetic, geometry, music and astronomy. This was known as the quadrivium and completed the seven liberal (mind liberating) arts.

All people know now is the Rockefeller counterfeit operant conditioning "arts" that carry the name liberal arts.

Trivium
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/trivium

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Trivium
[Note the Jesuits were taught the Trivium]

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Trivium
[overly simplified and specific definition]

Trivium Education
http://www.triviumeducation.com/

Quadrivium
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/quadrivium

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/quadrivium

The paideia included the seven mind liberating arts with other activities.
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Paideia

Using these tools, the sky is the limit, as they say.

But without these tools, the poor people are left believing whatever some bankster financed puppet says on the TV set.

The best way to control the opposition is to finance it. Birds of prey have two wings; the left wing & right wing.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 3:32:27 AM

Neurons: 529,677
So, according to Aristotle, parents did nothing but give birth to children. Didn't teach them manners, hygiene, safety, respect. Did not try to influence their tastes in art, music, fashion etc. I think Aristotle over-stated his case.

I remember, therefore I am.
Tumelo
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 4:30:37 AM

Neurons: 3
Daemon wrote:

TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 5:47:37 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Here in the United States, many irresponsible parents blame the teachers for their children's deficiencies.

Teachers in the United States are the favorite whipping boy of parents, politicians, and the media. Everything is said to be the fault of the teachers. The students are said to be completely blameless.

In fact, the federal government recently ordered schools to stop suspending students of certain groups for being defiant. The government said that the little darlings were victims of "discrimination"!

Bertoray
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 6:00:02 AM

Neurons: 27,584
One more reason then, for Aristotle to be remembered as Alexander's teacher rather than Pythias' father.
Haz
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:02:34 AM

Neurons: 34,034
Trivium Discipulus is correct: 'If only most people understood what education actually represented in the mind of Aristotle.'

The schools do not TEACH our children. Obviously we all need to learn how to read, write, understand scientific theories, and the rest. This is good but schools do not allow us to question and think which is the reason for a great deal of disorder from children. Even they know when teachers are talking rubbish.

Also, as one of the ethnic minorities in my country, the teachers presumed that we were too stupid to learn and prone to disorder and in England we have a disproportionate amount of 'ethnic' children expelled from school forever.

I think the education system needs to learn a thing or two.
One is that not all children learn the same and another is that sitting in a classroom for an hour and being talked at, is not educational.
Children, especially, can only sit and absorb information for a certain amount of time.

I doubt very much Aristotle was demeaning parents in his statement... but even today, some parents do not bother to teach their children basic socializing skills.
curmudgeonine
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:06:42 AM

Neurons: 170,308
The parents are the child's first teachers
Marguerite
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 11:41:44 AM

Neurons: 23,973
Aritstotle's statement is as amazing as he is.
I think our public school system in the US is little more than propaganda mills, especially in working class neighborhoods, but it is still better than what the coporations have in mind for the US public school system.
I love reading Trivium Discipulus entries; they are enlightening and come from a heart that loves mankind. I accessed his links that he so kindly posted and now I have a lot of thinking and reading to do. (Why do I assume Trivium is male--patrimonic thinking is as deep as dye in the wool.)
Haz
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 1:14:48 PM

Neurons: 34,034
I agree Marquerite. The school system is purely to create workers for the state. It will only ever allow a small percentage to excel and reach it's potential.

In England the government is now turning funding over to private business to start running our schools. I'm thankful that my child is grown and out of the school system as it is deteriorating each year.

I concur with your statement about Trivium Discipulus too. He is inspirational (I also presume that s/he is a he lol)
Dr. Mohammed Albadri
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 1:38:26 PM

Neurons: 76,208
A great philosopher and thinker
jcbarros
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 1:41:05 PM

Neurons: 9,052
(..................)
Teach your children well,
Their father´s hell did slowly go by,
And feed them on your dreams
The one they picks, the one you´ll know by.
(......................)
Teach your parents well,
Their children´s hell will slowly go by,
(...............)
Crosby, Still, Nash & Young - 1970.
mustafa barakat 1
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 5:41:10 PM

Neurons: 210
Nowadays parents pay more complementary care about education of their childrens at home than before at Aristotel's Era.
kenturner1
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 7:11:43 PM

Neurons: 11,475
Great quote. How the government, public schools and other institutions of learning nudged their ways into childrearing and how parents abdicated their responsibility is concerning for our future.

**DISCLAIMER**
2015Febechukwu E105
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:23:53 PM

Neurons: 6,624
kenturner1 wrote:
Great quote. How the government, public schools and other institutions of learning nudged their ways into childrearing and how parents abdicated their responsibility is concerning for our future.

Tru.

lord-febe(dot)tumblr(dot)c@nn