The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

International Children's Book Day Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,985
International Children's Book Day

This day, which is observed by countries all over the world, is held on Hans Christian Andersen's birthday, April 2, because the Danish author's stories have been favorites among children of all nationalities. Celebrations include contests in which children illustrate their favorite books. Every two years the International Board on Books for Young People sponsors the Hans Christian Andersen medals, which are awarded to a children's book author and a children's book illustrator for their contributions to children's literature. More...
Haz
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 8:46:50 AM

Neurons: 34,034
Is this true... 'observed by countries all over the world'?

In England schools hold a Book Day in which all infant/junior children dress up as their favourite characters.

Unfortunately I observed that most of these children dressed up as their favourite characters from the videos of the books and most hadn't ever picked up a book.

One wonderful series of books I would recommend to all young children is The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness by Michelle Paver.

I started reading them to my daughter when she was six years old and at 16 she still re-reads the whole series.
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 8:49:36 AM

Neurons: 5,676,457
Today is also the birthday of Hans Christian Andersen! Who wrote the most beautiful stories for children, attracting them to one of the most commendable human habits.
Thanks Mr Andersen for being born and given us the gift of literature!!
Child growing up reading, grows happier!!Applause
curmudgeonine
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:07:56 AM

Neurons: 170,308
It's also world autism day
Marguerite
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 11:52:34 AM

Neurons: 23,973
It must be wonderful for those children whose parents love books and provide thier children with those marvelously imaginative children's books. But what of those children who will grow out of their childhoods without seeing or hearing a child's book? They are too busy being improvished and enslaved by the horrific one percent and anyone else who has the power to exploit them. What a world; what a world says the Wicked Witch of the West.
Haz
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:49:56 PM

Neurons: 34,034
Hi Marquerite: Before written text we had the oral tradition. Back in time storytellers were highly regarded as they were the holders of a community's history! Many of our written stories originate from the oral tradition. I'm sure that this tradition still occurs in the poorer countries (I truly hope).

I used to get tremendous pleasure reading to my child and was quite disappointed when she wanted to read everything herself (from about the age of 6). It is amazing how you can captivate the child's imagination from reading to them and it is sad that some parents are unable to do this. My child had a reading age of 16 when she was 10 and she loves both reading and writing.

kenturner1
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 7:05:06 PM

Neurons: 11,475
Noble cause. Hans Christen Andersen is a more fascinating birthday than that Ernst fellow. But I did learn something new.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2015 7:33:07 AM

Neurons: 2,589,153
Books were a passion of mine as a kid. I missed most of the classic fairy tales because my mother can't read well, so I read to myself. If you can give a kid a taste for books, you've prepared a kid for life. Applause
striker
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2015 11:05:29 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
we must teach our chidren more to prepare them for the unknown future of our world
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2015 3:32:22 PM

Neurons: 5,676,457

This poem by Pat Mora, which perfectly encapsulates the feeling of being swept away by a good book:

"Bookjoy! Around the World

We can read, you and I.

See letters become words,

and words become books

we hold in our hands.

We hear whispers

and roaring rivers in the pages,

bears singing

funny tunes to the moon.

We enter spooky gray castles,

And in our hands flowering trees climb

to the clouds. Bold girls fly;

boys fish for sparkling stars.

You and I read, round and round,

Bookjoy around the world.”

By Pat Mora

http://usbornepublishing.tumblr.com/post/46938110511/happy-international-childrens-book-day