The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Any help please with the meaning of "Kwam zelf" Options
Pang Pang Dan
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 1:12:55 AM

Neurons: 15
"De club kwam zelf enkele maanden geleden met het verzoek mee te mogen doen."

I was wondering if the phrase "kwam zelf" in the sentence should mean "joined by themselves", "came to contact by themselves" or has any other possible meanings. If yes, does it mean the club has directly come to contact [the office etc.] by themselves some months ago with the request to do so? I just has a doubt that my translation might not bring the real meaning and sense from the original one. So I appriciate any help in clarifying it.

With kind regards.
^_^
IMcRout
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 5:05:02 AM

Neurons: 408,183
Welcome to the forums, Pang Pang Dan.

I would interpret the sentence like this:

"The club itself approached [us / the office] a few months ago, requesting to be allowed to join."

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
Pang Pang Dan
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 7:54:40 AM

Many thanks for your answer ^^ it did help me with my investigation into a case that has sparked a wide scrutiny for some irregularities in my country which involves some Dutch language in the document. But could you please tell me more precisely what do you mean by "approach"? Does it mean that the club came to the organization in person or it just simply mean that the club itself approached the organization by any other means ( such as e-mail, fax etc.).

Here is the whole paragraph which I am working on ;

"De Thaise club kwam zelf enkele maanden geleden met het verzoek mee te mogen doen. Behalve ( ... ) Championships, zullen ze drie weken later ook deelnemen aan de WGI Percussion World Championships in Dayton.
Het duurde lang tot er een bevestiging kwam. (...), Indoor Percussion Coordinator bij CGN daarover: “Pas na de WGI Regional op 1 maart kwam alles in een stroomversnelling met als resultaat de bevestiging vanuit (...) dat Max Percussion Theatre gaat meedoen aan de (...) IPC Championships.”

The phrase "kwam zelf" which I highlight is the crucial point on settling the contested issue whether the group's allegation is true or not (the group alledge that they got the invitation letter from the organization)

I would be very grateful if you can provide us your professional skills in this beautiful language to give a more translation for the whole paragraph. It will greatly merit the cause of finding the truth.

Thank you in advance!
IMcRout
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 10:20:29 AM

Well, the problem is that I am not a native Dutch speaker myself, so we'd better wait for some of our Dutch members to make absolutely sure.

The way I understand the passage, it does not become completely clear whether the club, or one of its members, approached the organisation in person or by written correspondence, i.e. by letter or email. The phrase '... kwam met het verzoek ...' (~ came with the request) can mean either.

The word 'zelf' here to me only indicates that the contact was initiated by the club itself, not e.g. the other way round.

But it would be better to get some native advice.

Klaas / Club, waar ben jij?

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
Pang Pang Dan
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 10:36:15 AM

Thank you very much for your suggestion ^^ I really appreciate it.

>>I still need a precise translation on this. It could be a strong evidence to back the case.

Klaas V
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 7:35:08 AM

Neurons: 4,802
The interpretation seems correct. The club (team) took the initiative to join a federation/alliance or whatever rather than waiting for an invitation if I understood your explanation well, Pang Pang.

Shame on me to not visiting Dutch fora here for a long time. Cool that German speaking colleagues assist. Our languages are similar enough. Thanks a lot for alerting me, IMcRout.

With maybe the exception of the unasked there just isn't such thing available as a dumb question - Z4us
seemo74
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 5:45:31 PM

Neurons: 23,588
Danke !
Pieter_Hove
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 6:13:54 PM

Neurons: 314,106
De club kwam zelf ... met het verzoek om ...: The club came up by itself with the proposal of ...
Ronald123
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 4:46:56 AM

Neurons: 5
IMcRout wrote:
Well, the problem is that I am not a native Dutch speaker myself, so we'd better wait for some of our Dutch members to make absolutely sure.

The way I understand the passage, it does not become completely clear whether the club, or one of its members, approached the organisation in person or by written correspondence, i.e. by letter or email. The phrase '... kwam met het verzoek ...' (~ came with the request) can mean either.

The word 'zelf' here to me only indicates that the contact was initiated by the club itself, not e.g. the other way round.

But it would be better to get some native advice.

Klaas / Club, waar ben jij?

Hi IMcRout. My name is Ronald, I live in Belgium and my first language is Dutch. Your translation and interpretation of the Dutch text, including the word 'zelf', is correct; I couldn't have done a better job of it myself.

Best wishes.
IMcRout
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 5:10:42 AM

Thank you, Ronald. Your praise is quite justified. Whistle

Herman Hut
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2015 8:33:07 AM

Neurons: 37
"Kwam zelf" in this context means that they did the request on their own initiative, before receiving an invite of any kind. The request can be done by letter, e-mail, phone or personal contact, it actually can be in any way contact can be made. I'm from Holland, so my native language is Dutch. 😉