The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

DOES GOD EXISTS Options
Ajay Amitabh Suman
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 4:35:00 AM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 1/10/2014
Posts: 15
Neurons: 52,258
Location: New Delhi, NCT, India
There is so much of problems in this world. People are getting selfish and fighting over small issues. Nation are fighting over small things. Many people are being killed in war. Natural calamities are also there to create havoc. Why GOD is letting all these things to happen. If there is god, then such things should not happen.
Maryam Dad
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 4:58:04 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/13/2013
Posts: 672
Neurons: 3,363
Great conclusion.

Kindness is a mark of faith. and whoever is not kind has no faith.
Spiral
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 3:32:35 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/31/2013
Posts: 266
Neurons: 1,628
Ajay Amitabh Suman wrote:
There is so much of problems in this world. People are getting selfish and fighting over small issues. Nation are fighting over small things. Many people are being killed in war. Natural calamities are also there to create havoc. Why GOD is letting all these things to happen. If there is god, then such things should not happen.


You obviously haven't read or understood the conclusion of God's Book the Holy Bible, Ajay. The plan of salvation has a wonderful ending for those who surrender to God and confess the Lord Jesus Christ as their Saviour.

Agápē is unconditional love - All of life's problems are solved by this.
Curtis Bray
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 6:03:58 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 3/28/2014
Posts: 5
Neurons: 35
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
That is our purpose to learn and grow and feel and do what is right . You or we would learn very very slowly in a perfect world . The growth we can achieve to learn to love in a world full of hate is huge or to learn how to make peace in a world full of war . Same as how far we could grow to learn to care about others when we are sick and in pain . The chances to grow like this just do not exist anywhere else . That I believe is why we created this universe .
rogermue
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 6:33:03 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/28/2012
Posts: 5,047
Neurons: 34,900
Location: München, Bavaria, Germany
With books that have been written about this question through the ages you can fill a lot of libraries. And stiil we ask.
Barely literate
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 2:59:30 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/29/2012
Posts: 2,920
Neurons: 19,621
Almost all religions say god is our father; and correct that may be. You seem to be old enough to have children. If you do every little thing for your children, how will they learn them for themselves?

Second thought is that whether your children depend on you whatsoever they want to have or not. Normally, children like to have a lot of things notwithstanding whether they are good or bad for them in the long run. For example, for chocolate. But you know eating much of them are not good for their health in the long run and decline to their demand. But they, without understanding your good intention, resort to other means. Are you responsible for their deeds in that case?
jimmymac
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 6:28:00 AM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 3/24/2014
Posts: 32
Neurons: 261

Hi Sal,

Personally, I have no problem with having theists, atheists or agnostics or pagans around, or any peaceful citizen representing the hundreds if not thousands of named religions. I am a 'constitutional-ized' American citizen and know most sapient humans can co-exist and keep busy living and enjoying Nature. I am also a Biologist (B.S. Microbiology).
Yet, the potential reality of a generally monotheistic pan-cultural theism seems to elude modern civilized humans and spawns conflicts. Why?

The universal language of Science is Mathematics. Some might go as far as to say Science equates-to Mathematics in action. Most humans can start with Arithmetic and learn
evermore of what the world is made of and what holds it all together in ways that are variously
measurable and re-verifiable. It is not all 'Rocket Science' to intimidate the techno-phobes. We have 'versions' of theories and upgrades. Our methods define a 'Standard Model' of energy-events that are well known to exist exterior to all human craniums. In thought and action, this ever self-correcting process is not a 'spiritual' endeavor by most definitions. However, combined with a faith in ourselves and our species to solve our sometimes terrifying problems it can be so considered.

"All knowledge is only an approximation."
So said the philosopher Alfred North Whitehead.

I believe if the fundamentalist theists could avoid or upgrade their anthropomorphic language, it might be possible
to reconcile the polarities of Science and Religion. It is not an issue of believing and knowing, ... it is more of an issue of dogma and skepticism. The 'Creator' is a verb, an energy-event. Humans too are verbs. Even the rocks evolve as energy-events in Cosmos. That the stars move and what all the microscopes and telescopes could reveal was beyond the knowledge of the ancients.

And in regards to mathematics being the language of science, there is a very famous equation which has been often quoted and said to prove the existence of God, the 'creation energy-event'.
Explore Creator, as the interpreted the equation:


http://godandmath.com/2012/01/15/christian-mathematicians-euler/

In summary:

This is the end of the Solar System as we have know it for many thousands of years. In so far as can be measurable,... there is no hell below us. Above us is an endless new frontier of awesome prosperity. Surely, there exists a gadzillion of new things as 'energy-events' under the core of our Milky Way Galaxy. We have much to learn.

Have a Nice Day,
__ JM
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 9:09:07 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 39,154
Neurons: 285,107
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
Thinking about the nature and essence of God in any mentionable religion, would it be better to ask "Do God exist?"


In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
aamir ah
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 6:48:58 AM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 4/6/2014
Posts: 11
Neurons: 1,210
Location: Srīnagar, Kashmir, India
yes there is God & ofcourse there are many problems in the world & appears no end to them & according to u GOD should stop allthese problems if God exists but it is not so we humans have been created for the same by GOD so GOD has finshed his task now its ur turn
Ray41
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 7:40:14 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/9/2010
Posts: 1,943
Neurons: 45,980
Location: Orange, New South Wales, Australia
The question; Does God exist, always reminds me of the little girl who wrote to the newspaper and asked; "Is there a Santa Claus"?
The answer that was printed in the newspaper is a brilliant piece of inspired writing and, could be applied to answer many of the questions that people ask of such things.Think


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes,_Virginia,_there_is_a_Santa_Claus



Eight-year-old Virginia O'Hanlon wrote a letter to the editor of New York's Sun, and the quick response was printed as an unsigned editorial Sept. 21, 1897. The work of veteran newsman Francis Pharcellus Church has since become history's most reprinted newspaper editorial, appearing in part or whole in dozens of languages in books, movies, and other editorials, and on posters and stamps.

***************************************************************************************************************
"DEAR EDITOR: I am 8 years old.
"Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.
"Papa says, 'If you see it in THE SUN it's so.'
"Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?

"VIRGINIA O'HANLON.
"115 WEST NINETY-FIFTH STREET."

VIRGINIA, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no VIRGINIAS. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if they did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.




While I live I grow.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 8:31:26 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/17/2009
Posts: 10,895
Neurons: 341,278
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Of course God exists! If I want to make a God out of un upside down flower pot and trust it to keep me safe, to deliver me from evil, to be the shape and form I love and respect, well, God exists for me. God exists. It is absolute nonsense to say that God does not exist. The more helpful question could be, "Who, or what, is God?" And the answer depends on who you ask. Jesus Christ is my God. All that he was and is, all that he claims for himself, all that he does and promises to do - this is God for me. And that is a fact.

I remember, therefore I am.
Maryam Dad
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 9:23:22 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/13/2013
Posts: 672
Neurons: 3,363
Hard proof! Jacob,Hard proof! They want hard proof! Boo hoo!

Kindness is a mark of faith. and whoever is not kind has no faith.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 4:11:46 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/17/2009
Posts: 10,895
Neurons: 341,278
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Maryam Dad wrote:
Hard proof! Jacob,Hard proof! They want hard proof! Boo hoo!


When they give me hard proof that there is no God I will give them hard proof that there is.

I remember, therefore I am.
zielonosiwy
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 3:00:03 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/21/2012
Posts: 267
Neurons: 1,154
the only little leading proof may be the creation itself

except for this, nobody knows if God exists or not.
Epiphileon
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 4:23:56 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/22/2009
Posts: 3,937
Neurons: 57,449
jacobusmaximus wrote:

When they give me hard proof that there is no God I will give them hard proof that there is.


How would one provide "evidence" of a non-existent thing? Obviously hobbits exist as creatures of fantasy but, what would you accept as evidence that they do not exist as independent manifestations of reality?

Besides that, this is pretty much a straw man argument of sorts, as the vast majority of atheists I am aware of do not insist absolutely, that there is nonesuch as some godlike entity, only that none of the stories of gods by men, hold up to critical examination. As well most atheists see no evidence for the necessity of a god like entity in the origin of the universe, or life on Earth. Neither of these positions completely excludes the possibility of a god.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 5:42:20 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/17/2009
Posts: 10,895
Neurons: 341,278
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Epiphileon wrote:
jacobusmaximus wrote:

When they give me hard proof that there is no God I will give them hard proof that there is.


How would one provide "evidence" of a non-existent thing? Obviously hobbits exist as creatures of fantasy but, what would you accept as evidence that they do not exist as independent manifestations of reality?

Besides that, this is pretty much a straw man argument of sorts, as the vast majority of atheists I am aware of do not insist absolutely, that there is nonesuch as some godlike entity, only that none of the stories of gods by men, hold up to critical examination. As well most atheists see no evidence for the necessity of a god like entity in the origin of the universe, or life on Earth. Neither of these positions completely excludes the possibility of a god.


Returning to the real world, Epi, one would not be looking for evidence of non-existence if one was already convinced that the subject did not exist. Arguments and examinations about God seem to come down to words, whereas it is experience that matters. I know that my Redeemer Liveth because he has touched my life.

I remember, therefore I am.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 5:44:04 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/17/2009
Posts: 10,895
Neurons: 341,278
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Zielonosiwy wrote:
the only little leading proof may be the creation itself

except for this, nobody knows if God exists or not.


Well said, Z!

I remember, therefore I am.
ithink140
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 7:34:16 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/4/2013
Posts: 2,454
Neurons: 17,922
Ajay you ask and posit the following: Why GOD is letting all these things to happen. If there is god, then such things should not happen.

I don't comment very often on these subjects nowadays since the ground has been well covered but I'll have a stab once again.

I ask what do you want God to do... force conduct upon humans? Man has... without question... free will, but a free will that is corrupted by his fall from the state or ability to exercise it properly. That corrupted free will does not free us from accountability but judgement is tempered by it. We can still wilfully miss the mark.

The inability to always conduct ourselves properly is called imperfection, or sin, which simply put in Hebrew means to 'miss' the mark of the Creators standards. 'Archers were said to 'sin' when they missed the target. We are all aware of our inner conflict and we would be liars to suggest otherwise. That inner conflict was passed on by our progenitors.

Ajay, you seem to blame all man's failings on God, but it is the element of free will and its wrongful exercise in the first man that gave rise to the possibility of rebellion. The creation of life in God's image is based on a willingness to obey out of love, not force.

Law is essential to life, both physical and spiritual law. There is no such thing as total freedom. Free will was introduced within the bounds of law. Free will, by its nature has its limits as far as it effects the lives of others and the peace of the universe. A faithful creature will have the greatest amount of freedom under law, not without it. For one who has love little law is required and most of that is written in our natures. For example 'The Law of Christ' has very little dictates but is summed up in love of God and neighbour and is based on all that Jesus said and did... it is a 'way of life.' Jesus said 'I am the Way...the Truth...and the Life.


Man's woes are of his own doing...even the force of nature is linked to his failings since God abandoned him and the earth to it and his works while providing a basis hope of escape from sin and death.

Romans 8:20(NASB)

'For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope'

Now I realise that many will not go along with this, and I acknowledge other viewpoints with respect, but to reduce the existence of God to that of the level of a Hobbit is both insulting and childish to the nth degree. And to put at God's door all blame is to absolve man of all action.



'Life is too short to be eaten up by hate.'
Epiphileon
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 9:43:41 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/22/2009
Posts: 3,937
Neurons: 57,449
Damn, IT it takes pretty prejudicial thinking to conclude I was equating the two, there is obviously many orders of magnitude difference in the concepts; however, I would say the analogy still holds as far as proving the non-existence of something, and that was all I meant.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
ithink140
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 9:46:05 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/4/2013
Posts: 2,454
Neurons: 17,922
Point taken Epi.. .perhaps an over-reaction on my part. I try to keep out of these discussion nowadays...don't know what came over me.

'Life is too short to be eaten up by hate.'
Ebenezer Son
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:15:01 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/23/2013
Posts: 679
Neurons: 3,215
These Issues are sensitive - if there is God, time will, and if there is no God, time will tell - Why should the little minds of human argue over this? I think any divine power is a spirit, and cannot be seen - ask the hundus worshipers if they see their gods, they represent them by statues and the unseen thing(power) exists within those statues. Ask the Harikrishnas if they see their GOD, ask the Ekankas if they see their GOD, ask the Jews if they see their GOD, ask the christians if they see thier God, ask any other religious person if they see their GOD they trust - It is difficult for humans to trust a God they cannot see with their eyes, therefore it ends in arguments and turmoil - no matter how we may argue we cannot see that God. And in every thing there are two things involved - that is, whether you believe in a God or not it could be that there is no God. And whether you believe in a GOD or not it could be that there is a God. One funny thing is that, humans don't even know the time they will die, but argue about things they cannot see.

In respect of the above,ithink 140, said God gave us a free will and the first human pair abused it - it is in the plan of God, the God he believes in His existence. Nothing is beyond the knowledge of that GOD - It is all parts of God. And one thing is, you can't understand all things, they are mysteries.





I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
Teluu
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 11:33:31 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/23/2010
Posts: 378
Neurons: 1,412
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ajay Amitabh Suman wrote:
There is so much of problems in this world. People are getting selfish and fighting over small issues. Nation are fighting over small things. Many people are being killed in war. Natural calamities are also there to create havoc. Why GOD is letting all these things to happen. If there is god, then such things should not happen.


god is dead.

I'm a free minded person!
Teluu
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 11:36:49 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/23/2010
Posts: 378
Neurons: 1,412
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ebenezer Son wrote:
These Issues are sensitive - if there is God, time will, and if there is no God, time will tell - Why should the little minds of human argue over this? I think any divine power is a spirit, and cannot be seen - ask the hundus worshipers if they see their gods, they represent them by statues and the unseen thing(power) exists within those statues. Ask the Harikrishnas if they see their GOD, ask the Ekankas if they see their GOD, ask the Jews if they see their GOD, ask the christians if they see thier God, ask any other religious person if they see their GOD they trust - It is difficult for humans to trust a God they cannot see with their eyes, therefore it ends in arguments and turmoil - no matter how we may argue we cannot see that God. And in every thing there are two things involved - that is, whether you believe in a God or not it could be that there is no God. And whether you believe in a GOD or not it could be that there is a God. One funny thing is that, humans don't even know the time they will die, but argue about things they cannot see.

In respect of the above,ithink 140, said God gave us a free will and the first human pair abused it - it is in the plan of God, the God he believes in His existence. Nothing is beyond the knowledge of that GOD - It is all parts of God. And one thing is, you can't understand all things, they are mysteries.



Bible is not a reference to god. All the writings are by men!

I'm a free minded person!
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:19:36 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,593
Neurons: 21,598
"It is beyond my comprehension how people -- rational, thinking human beings --can believe in an all-powerful benevolent Supreme Being. Obviously that being is either incapable or unwilling to prevent the tragedies and brutalities that mankind has suffered since the beginning of time."


-- Leo Newman
Ebenezer Son
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 10:05:52 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/23/2013
Posts: 679
Neurons: 3,215
Teluu wrote:
GOD is letting all

god is dead.


Hi, Teluu, well I can't tell whether God is dead or not, but I want to ask you a question, who told you that God is dead? Is it by your own intuition? From men? where do you learned that? Or you think, the world is collapsing into chaos, lawlessness and stuff? And so you have your reasons for claiming that? You can't understand or study the knowledge of God, and you think because of the unpleasant happenings in life God is dead. I can't decide for God neither can you nor any other person. He does whatever He thinks is right for Him, and no one can ask Him any question. In the past years I had been thinking like you Teluu, and I gave up those ideas, because whether I believe in His existence or not I can't fight him, and can't see Him as well neither can I ask Him why too much injustices, hatred, misfortune, lies, ordeals, maladies and so on. I could sense that you probably believe in His existence but the unpleasant events in life make you doubt Him, and then you have finally conditioned your mind that God is dead. Teluu, He knew everything before He created them, so whether good or bad He knew it before creation, and whether you believe in Him or not you can't stop those maladies or unpleasant events in life which I is the basis for your disbelief.

I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
Ebenezer Son
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 10:14:30 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/23/2013
Posts: 679
Neurons: 3,215
TheParser wrote:
"It is beyond my comprehension how people -- rational, thinking human beings --can believe in an all-powerful benevolent Supreme Being. Obviously that being is either incapable or unwilling to prevent the tragedies and brutalities that mankind has suffered since the beginning of time."


-- Leo Newman



He has set for Himself a time during which everything, be it tragedies, brutalities etc would be eliminated.

One thing is no matter how men speak to Him, doubt Him, believe in Him, trust In Him, pray to Him, they cannot perceive Him with their eyes. Well, He can choose to show Himself to any man if He think He will.

I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
shahidsheikh
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 6:25:33 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/19/2013
Posts: 132
Neurons: 60,404
Location: Islamabad, Islamabad, Pakistan
Off course there is a God and he is Almighty Allah.

The problems and issues which are mentioned by Ajay are actually the result of our acts, the reactions of our actions.

DO GOOD HAVE GOOD, I am a strong believer of this. Even if I did not get the reward my faith is that it will be stored and kept with my ALLAH the Almighty and will be return on the Day of Judgment.

Any act of kindness will never be gone unrewarded.





Serve the Humanity, Save the Humanity
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 6:34:11 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,593
Neurons: 21,598
Ebenezer Son wrote:



He has set for Himself a time during which everything, be it tragedies, brutalities etc would be eliminated.




Hello, Ebenezer Son:

I am very happy for you. I think that your beliefs give you much comfort and strength.

*****

Many people, however, agree with Mr. Newman: the unspeakable suffering in this world is proof that there is no "God."

*****

To be honest, some people feel that it almost insulting to preach about "God" when one considers:

a. The horrific diseases that destroy people's bodies and spirits.

b. The terrible natural disasters that occur regularly.

c. And -- above all -- the unbelievable cruelties that human beings inflict on other human beings every second of every hour of every day.

*****

Many people do not believe in "Heaven." But they do believe in "Hell." They say that we are living in "Hell."
excaelis
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 7:13:12 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/30/2010
Posts: 10,981
Neurons: 32,652
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
shahidsheikh wrote:
Off course there is a God and he is Almighty Allah.

The problems and issues which are mentioned by Ajay are actually the result of our acts, the reactions of our actions.

DO GOOD HAVE GOOD, I am a strong believer of this. Even if I did not get the reward my faith is that it will be stored and kept with my ALLAH the Almighty and will be return on the Day of Judgment.

Any act of kindness will never be gone unrewarded.





Like the last words shahid. A rose by any other name...

Sanity is not statistical
Ebenezer Son
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 10:56:46 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/23/2013
Posts: 679
Neurons: 3,215
TheParser wrote:
Ebenezer Son wrote:



He has set for Himself a time during which everything, be it tragedies, brutalities etc would be eliminated.




Hello, Ebenezer Son:

I am very happy for you. I think that your beliefs give you much comfort and strength.

*****

Many people, however, agree with Mr. Newman: the unspeakable suffering in this world is proof that there is no "God."

*****

To be honest, some people feel that it almost insulting to preach about "God" when one considers:

a. The horrific diseases that destroy people's bodies and spirits.

b. The terrible natural disasters that occur regularly.

c. And -- above all -- the unbelievable cruelties that human beings inflict on other human beings every second of every hour of every day.

*****

Many people do not believe in "Heaven." But they do believe in "Hell." They say that we are living in "Hell."






Hi, Jame, I just sense that there is God - I book written by Vimar Kapoor(indian writer) has it that - God is trying to know Hemself through the events in this world - you as a distinct individual trying to know yourself through your actions and stuffs, is the same manner God is also getting to know Himself, since He is all that is - the christians Bible has it that "God kills". If the Almghty kills what next? James, if I should tell you the pains and the bitter experiences in my life you would just doubt - that it can't be true! Yet, I sense that God live. I don't have a good life though, but I could sense that God exists.

I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
TheParser
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 11:13:53 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,593
Neurons: 21,598
Ebenezer Son wrote:
I could sense that God exists.



That's wonderful, Ebenezer.

Thanks for the reply.


James
tunaafi
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 1:21:02 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 4,420
Neurons: 53,312
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
jacobusmaximus wrote:
When they give me hard proof that there is no God I will give them hard proof that there is.


If you have hard proof that there is a God, then wouldn't it be charitable to provide it now so that we atheists may finally come to the light?

If you wait for us to provide proof that there is no God, you will wait for ever. Most of us atheists admit that we cannot prove that there is no god, any more than we can prove there is no Santa Claus, tooth fairy or flying spaghetti monster.

As has been pointed out many times in questions of this nature, the onus of proof is on people who claim there is something, a god, yeti, Loch Ness monster or anything else. Absent proof of existence, it is reasonable to assume non-existence.
SirEvidence
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 10:00:43 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 6/23/2014
Posts: 26
Neurons: 1,583
Location: Rogers, Arkansas, United States
Before one can answer if God exists or not, shouldn't we clearly define the meaning of that word? Shouldn't we ask ourselves what a God actually is in our minds? Since no one can physically point to Him (or it) like we point at a computer or an airplane, what are we talking about? Obviously, we are talking of an idea, an imaginary entity, perhaps a self-induced feeling, but nothing more than that. To say that our thoughts of God exist, that we have a feeling of what He/She/it might be for us is an entirely subjective preference. And that explains why, since time immemorial, humans have had to deal with thousands of personally created images of whatever they call God.

What is your idea of a God? A force like a law of the universe? A super-human brain floating in the cosmos and permeating every part of it? A superman retired beyond the visible universe, in some other dimension, as the Greeks imagined their gods? A bright light full of energy? A conscious being who feels your pains and your joys?
kamilion
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:29:17 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/28/2013
Posts: 133
Neurons: 488
It appears we have no clue who God is, if he exists at all, why is he and what for etc. but at the same time we're too far busy expecting too much from him, blame him for anything goes wrong in our life, and arguing over his existence with his enemies - what we though forget about while being busy doing all that is one simple thing: To turn our sight inwards upon ourselves and start from there!!

De omnibus dubitandum est.
Ebenezer Son
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 6:30:03 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/23/2013
Posts: 679
Neurons: 3,215
Mmmm, I see. Ok.
Many years ago I had believed that there was no God, because one can not see Him - but later I read about (Jesus in the Bible) Jesus in the christian's Bible said God is spirit, and in our realm no one can see any thing which is spirit - from the day I saw that portion of words in the Bible I was convinced
Has anyone seen the colour of the air that blows every day before? Has anyone seen the air before? Would you say you can't see it so it doesn't exist?
In fact I'm in wait for somebody to tell me the colour of the air, and to deny it existence.
I just took Jesus' words for it - I was an atheist many years ago.

I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.