The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Talent, lying in the understanding, is often inherited; genius, being the action of reason or imagination, rarely or never. Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 81,432
Talent, lying in the understanding, is often inherited; genius, being the action of reason or imagination, rarely or never.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772-1834)
Cpprasad
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 6:22:56 AM

Neurons: 8,476
anyone please explain me..

Cpprasad
curmudgeonine
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 9:23:30 AM

Neurons: 170,308
Genius is rarely never inherited. It is developed, maybe? Whereas talent is inherited. Not really sure of what he's saying here
Bully_rus
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 11:13:24 AM

Neurons: 218,796
Daemon wrote:
Talent, lying in the understanding, is often inherited; genius, being the action of reason or imagination, rarely or never.

Genius is too rare and precious to string it in one DNA thread. Besides genius symbolizes a beginning of something completely new and as such start new trend not prolong it.
capitán
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 12:37:17 PM

Neurons: 23,124
A genius is a product of natural talent,
single minded effort through the whole of the lifespan of the individual,
right timing, which means that the individual is born in the right moment and in the right place,
and lastly of a very particular kind of luck.
johnfl
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 1:14:39 PM

Neurons: 349,682
d'oh!
Daemon wrote:

talent is in the eye of the beholder!or mom or dad.
Pieter_Hove
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 2:20:34 PM

Neurons: 561,233
Cp Prasad wrote:
anyone please explain me..

Talent, > giftedness
lying in the understanding, > What I think he is saying here, is that one already can have a talent if he is a magnificent craftsman, or, as another example, that one can exercise a scientific examination in an awesome way, just like the person's teacher did, or seemingly better.
is often inherited; > whether by genes or learned from their parents: I think what Coleridge means here, is that the parents or a devoted teacher, or a combination, gave the child a very good education, which, most important here, is not (solely) the talented person's merit or uniqueness
genius, being the action of reason or imagination, > So here's the real difference: you have to be active in reason or imagination, you have to create something really new in thought or in matter. New, in a sense that it's never seen or heard before in today's common knowledge.
rarely or never. > Hem, I feel pity for geniuses then, because if you reason a bit further, then the parents might help their child develop a talent, they also might spot a high I.Q. in their child, but geniuses, they are harder to find (or later, or never).

see also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_giftedness
kenturner1
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 2:25:32 PM

Neurons: 11,475
Is talent inherited? In athletics for instance often the son or daughter of an average athlete is prolific in the same sport and the son or daughter of an amazing athlete is pedestrian by most objective standards. There's a very successful music entertainer who's the son of a baseball player. In my opinion, each person is a cocktail of traits and innate talent and skills; nature and nurture helps harness them. Talent and or genius is preprogrammed within the individual.

**DISCLAIMER**
Verbatim
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 3:29:33 PM

Neurons: 244,989
Daemon wrote:

What seems to separate genius from talent in Coleridge's opinion is the application of individual reason or imagination --rarely or never inherited.

We all know what reason is, but what of imagination? ""Imagination is the living power and prime agent of all human perception."" Coleridge

And the ancient already explained the perception, the sight of genius: "To see things in the seed, that is genius." Lao-tzu
Marguerite
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 7:28:37 PM

Neurons: 23,973
Perspiration is 99% of genius or so said Edison. I like Kubla Khan and read it for just sheer enjoyment. Supposedly Coleridge wrote it while under the effects of Laudenum. I find it interesting that he left his wife with whom he was unhappy. Who can fault a man that?