The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Gregorian Chant Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,693
Gregorian Chant

Named for Pope Gregory I, who is credited with recodifying chant and liturgy in the 6th century CE, Gregorian chant is the monophonic, unaccompanied liturgical music of the Catholic Church. It is thought to have its roots in Jewish cantillation and in the Byzantine chant of the Greek Orthodox Church. Though the liturgical reforms of the Second Vatican Council (1962–65) curtailed the use of chant in church services, recordings of Gregorian chants were topping pop music charts as recently as when? More...
ABTIII
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 6:46:32 AM

Neurons: 28
Gregorian chants please me more than any "pop" noises.
jakebb
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 7:02:06 AM

Neurons: 4,940
ABTIII wrote:
Gregorian chants please me more than any "pop" noises.

Indeed.They mesmerize me. Totally beautiful.
curmudgeonine
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:07:34 AM

Neurons: 170,308
I have used the chant on a meditation cd quite successfully for 'zoning out'.

The monks of Solesmes, discussed above for their revival of Gregorian chant, issued a number of recordings. However, when Gregorian chant as plainchant experienced a popular resurgence during the New Age music and world music movements of the 1980s and '90s, the iconic album was somewhat unexpectedly Chant, recorded by the Benedictine monks of Santo Domingo de Silos, Spain. This was marketed as music to inspire timeless calm and serenity. In 2008, the Cistercian Monks of Austrian Heiligenkreuz Abbey released the CD Chant – Music for Paradise, which became the best-selling album of the Austrian pop charts and peaked #7 of the UK charts. In the US, the album was released under the title Chant – Music for the Soul and peaked at #4 on the Billboard classical charts.[64] [65]

It became conventional wisdom that listening to Gregorian chant increased the production of alpha waves in the brain, reinforcing the popular reputation of Gregorian chant as tranquilizing music.[66] Gregorian chant has often been parodied for its supposed monotony, both before and after the release of Chant. Famous references include the flagellant monks in Monty Python and the Holy Grail intoning "Pie Jesu Domine dona eis requiem" (Good Lord Jesus, grant them rest). "The Gregorian Chant" was the title of a British television play in the 60's starring Billie Whitelaw as a prostitute with unexpectedly refined tastes. Gregorian chant has been also used in Vision of Escaflowne and Death Note anime series, Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame, the theme of the Temple of Time in the Legend of Zelda series and the Halo series of videogames, although it had been used in such a number of productions and movies that this is only a very selective list of examples.
Marguerite
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:12:40 AM

Neurons: 23,973
I love curmudgeonline's very informative response. It is chucking full of important details, which helps flesh out history. I don't know how I got from reading that lengthy article to Islington at the Angel Inn, but I did. For those who love Thomas Paine as I do, the Inn is where he wrote The Age of Reason. I remember why I remember Thomas Paine and his brilliant writing at the Angel Inn: the lyrics to Pop Goes the Weasel is written on a wall at the Angel Inn, Islington. The Gregorian Chant is parodied in Pop Goes the Weasel. The mind takes winding, twisting roads to arrive at a destination.
Up and down the City Road
In and out the Eagle
That's the way the money goes
Pop! Goes the weasel.
108amitabha
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 11:07:04 AM

Neurons: 1,474
Thanks for a wealth of information. I am basically new in the subject and also come from a different culture. But both the two mails are quite informative and will surely make me persue more deeply in the subject. Thanks.
kenturner1
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 5:30:07 PM

Neurons: 11,475
Interesting subject!

**DISCLAIMER**
Absurdicuss
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 5:46:41 PM

Neurons: 30,361
"6th century CE"

CE, BCE - call it anything you want, that doesn't change the fact of the advent of CHRIST.

What the heck does Common Era mean anyway, other than a scholarly avoidance of In the year of Our Lord Anno Domini.

Gregorian chants are lovely, but it ain't bluegrass.

"Now" is the eternal present.