The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A resolution to avoid an evil is seldom framed till the evil is so far advanced as to make avoidance impossible. Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,883
A resolution to avoid an evil is seldom framed till the evil is so far advanced as to make avoidance impossible.

Thomas Hardy (1840-1928)
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 2:01:19 AM

Neurons: 350,106
Daemon wrote:
A resolution to avoid an evil is seldom framed till the evil is so far advanced as to make avoidance impossible.

Thomas Hardy (1840-1928)

In order to avoid the problem be aware, look to and evaluate the future, and game plan some possibilities in advance so you aren't as likely to get caught unaware. Also, develop some principles and values to use a light in dim or dark environments and stick to them.

The best way to control the opposition is to finance it. Birds of prey have two wings; the left wing & right wing.
mangezi
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 5:26:02 AM

Neurons: 65,799
I am not sure I comprehend and concur with Mr. Hardy on this one. As much as I appreciate his eloquent choicy words, their truth is arguable: evil can be avoided at all stages.

I am not a genius. I am just a tremendous bundle of experience - Richard Fuller.
mangezi
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 5:26:06 AM

Neurons: 65,799
I am not sure I comprehend and concur with Mr. Hardy on this one. As much as I appreciate his eloquent choicy words, their truth is arguable: evil can be avoided at all stages.

I am not a genius. I am just a tremendous bundle of experience - Richard Fuller.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 7:29:55 AM

Neurons: 30,144
What Hardy is asserting applies accurately to the work of governments. The administration of government by fallen man, and the satanic powers behind them, is responsible for the ills that plague humanity.

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

"Now" is the eternal present.
Bully_rus
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 7:50:40 AM

Neurons: 236,992
Daemon wrote:

Thomas Hardy (1840-1928)

And when avoidance impossible you can meet the evil face to face something like: "Or to take arms against a sea of troubles, And by opposing, end them."
curmudgeonine
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:22:46 AM

Neurons: 170,308
In other words, don't let it go so far that you can't fix it.
Alice M Toaster
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 9:38:20 AM

Neurons: 1,388,367
muketah wrote:

It's been quite some time since I've seen someone use the word "arguable" in the proper manner. Thank you, muketah!

Just trying to figure out the difference between
ithink140
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 11:10:56 AM

Neurons: 17,922
In essence I think Hardy is right. Framing law tends to follow in the wake of crime...it is most often introduced to rectify a failure in legislation. Part of the problem is that new and inventive crimes are given birth to which existing law does not cover, or a situation arises whereby there is a hole in the law.

History shows that evil cannot avoided at all times, as does the present day activities of a section of mankind.

'Life is too short to be eaten up by hate.'
Verbatim
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 2:40:15 PM

Neurons: 245,479
Daemon wrote:

Thomas Hardy (1840-1928)

The "evil" spoken of in "Far from a Madding Crowd", Chapter 18, is nothing more than an isolated, innocent flirt taken seriously by farmer Boldwood, about to get out of hand.

Quote: ""As for Bathsheba,... It troubled her much to see what a great flame a little wildfire was likely to kindle....
She resolved never again, by look or by sign, to interrupt the steady flow of this man's life. But a resolution to avoid an evil is seldom framed till the evil is so far advanced as to make avoidance impossible.""End quote. http://www.online-literature.com/hardy/Madding/19/

Alas, by the time the harm was done it is too late to avoid it. What to do, what is one to do? Do nothing, of course, lest the remedy is worse...
kenturner1
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 3:10:20 PM

Neurons: 11,475
You are all brilliant! I love reading your posts! I think Hardy is correct in the sense that we live in a reactionary society under reactionary rule. Our government knew 10 days in advance that Russia would invade Ukraine, knew in advance about domestic terrorism and 9/11. It took a judge in MA to deem "upskirt" photos okay for the MA legislation to "react" by passing legislation to make it illegal. A lot of things could very easily be nipped in the bud if the problem solvers were more proactive.

**DISCLAIMER**
RamufAznag
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 5:41:30 PM

Neurons: 578,405
In my opinion, it's not a question of whether Mr. Hardy is right or wrong. His statement is only an observation that we can make ourselves every so often...
Personally, I know about an old saying that goes something like this: "Applying/Installing new doorlocks, after the house has been robbed!", which is (thoroughly) used on situations which probably resemble the ones Mr. Hardy had in mind.
And kenturner1, from what I'm (unfortunately) led to believe, "problem solving" is only put to action, when "problem solvers" can profit from it, hence no easy nipping in the bud when it's more than reasonable to expect it.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 7:16:41 PM

Neurons: 30,144
Well there it is Ramuf, the world is inherently a capitalistic structure in which nothing gets done until the ledger can produce black numbers.

And thanks K-Turn - well you have discerned the post haste nature of how things are done

"Now" is the eternal present.
capitán
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:55:39 PM

Neurons: 23,124
Sounds like my uncle and his drinking problem.-