The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Paul Ehrlich (1854) Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 88,887
Paul Ehrlich (1854)

Ehrlich was a German bacteriologist who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1908 for his work on immunology. He is also noted for his work in hematology, cellular pathology, and the use of dyes in microscopy. Ehrlich coined the term "chemotherapy" and is credited with the first empirical observation of the blood-brain barrier. He also made notable contributions to the treatment of syphilis, stimulating research that led to the development of what widely-used drug? More...
TheParser
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 7:06:28 AM

Neurons: 22,062
How sad that our society gives so much publicity to silly and spoiled "celebrities."

Everyone, young and old, should admire people such as Dr. Ehrlich. They are the real heroes of this world.

Here in my city, they put up a statute of another great humanitarian, Miss Florence Nightingale.

I believe that it was put up in the year of 1937 (my birthyear) in a local park.

I have just read that the statue has recently been vandalized.

Since 1937, the area has changed in the composition of its inhabitants, many of whom have no respect for themselves, let alone anyone else.

curmudgeonine
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 10:03:05 AM

Neurons: 170,308
His laboratory discovered arsphenamine (Salvarsan), the first effective medicinal treatment for syphilis, thereby initiating and also naming the concept of chemotherapy.
kenturner1
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 1:49:57 PM

Neurons: 11,475
I appreciate his contributions to medicine!
Marguerite
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 11:28:18 PM

Neurons: 23,973
What a genius that Paul Ehrlick, the man who coined the term chemotherapy.

The last Kaiser of Germany, Wilhelm II, whose mother died of breast cancer, wrote a paean on the death of Ehrlick in 1915, one year into the first world war, a war that changed the world for the worst.

It was tooted as the war to end all wars, but instead of ending war, it led to the war that introduced the atomic bomb.

What aren't we human capable of? Above Ehrlick labortory door he hung the sign that read, “Give up all hope oh ye who enter.”
kphathi
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 9:19:05 AM

Neurons: 21,198
A real genius. His name is still alive and vibrant today