The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Lifestyle Changes Could Cut Miscarriage Risk Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,883
Lifestyle Changes Could Cut Miscarriage Risk

Researchers say that more than a quarter of first-time miscarriages are preventable and could be avoided if women made certain lifestyle changes. Heavy lifting, obesity, being underweight, alcohol consumption, and working night shifts during pregnancy were all found to be factors that elevate miscarriage risk. Age was also found to be a factor, with women in their mid-30s and above more likely to lose a pregnancy. It is important not only for individual women to be aware of these risks but also for policymakers and employers to know of them and help pregnant women avoid them whenever possible. More...
Gustavo de S Consoni
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 4:13:21 AM

Neurons: 76,559
A simple lesson...
curmudgeonine
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 8:50:06 AM

Neurons: 170,308
Common sense, really
Marguerite
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 11:05:25 AM

Neurons: 23,973
What is more important to a country than to produce a healthy child? These studies routed in common sense are always important.
kenturner1
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 8:31:18 PM

Neurons: 11,475
Interesting article.

**DISCLAIMER**
Haz
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 9:11:48 PM

Neurons: 34,034
I'm surprised the human race has lasted this long if this is considered news! d'oh!

Best advice to those who wish to conceive is to visit their GP or pregnancy planning clinic to discuss what you need to do. At 33 I did and told my GP I had been taking contraception for 17 years and wanted to detox my body for six months after I stopped taking the pill. I was informed that if I tried to get pregnant immediately after stopping the pill my chances of conception would be very good. If I took a six months' break I was told that it may take some time - perhaps years ! - to conceive. Thank You Universal Intelligence for guiding me to a pre-pregnancy discussion with a professional.

She also advised me to start taking folic acid and iron supplements a few months prior to conception! something else I am thankful for. I'd stopped drinking and smoking and started eating more healthily. I walked my dog several times a day in the lovely countryside and prepared, to the best of my ability, a safe haven for a developing child.

If pregnancies come as a surprise to the mother to be, as occurs on occasion, miscarriage could occur due to the mother's body (being unprepared) and lifestyle (which also includes stressful and/or long shifts at any time of the day in work).

After a wonderful pregnancy with only a few months of mild morning sickness, a few weeks of constipation and heart burn I gave birth to my gorgeous child.

I know how lucky I am to be given the gift of a child - but this was not achieved by pure chance alone.

Barring those suffering specific conditions over which they have no control, taking responsibility for ourselves is half the battle.

Good luck to everyone trying to conceive - priority number one: look after yourself Dancing