The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Geisha: "Art Person" Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, March 2, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,693
Geisha: "Art Person"

A geisha is a traditional Japanese artist-entertainer skilled at conversation, singing, and dancing. The geisha system likely originated in the 17th century to provide a class of well-trained entertainers separate from courtesans and prostitutes. Even though geisha are usually women, the first ones were actually men. The numbers of geisha have declined from some 80,000 in the 1920s to a few thousand today. Why did geisha often paint their teeth black as part of their formal make-up? More...
curmudgeonine
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 8:19:52 AM

Neurons: 170,308
It is done partly because uncoloured teeth seem very yellow in contrast to white face makeup; colouring the teeth black means that they seem to "disappear" in the darkness of the open mouth. This illusion is of course more pronounced at a distance.
Christine
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 10:31:52 AM

Neurons: 15,842

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

Christine
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 10:47:00 AM

Neurons: 15,842
I was wrong with that picture. Not Japan geisha but China.

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

Marguerite
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 11:24:06 AM

Neurons: 23,973
The Geisha painted their teeth black so that their own teeth wouldn't interfere with over-all look of beauty they were attempting to achieve. Naked teeth against power white skin would look rat yellow--unslightly. Why did paint the teeth paper white--more natural than black? But Geishahood is an art form and they knew what they were doing for centuries so who am I to offer advice?
karia h
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 3:05:35 PM

Neurons: 3,431
curmudgeonine wrote:
It is done partly because uncoloured teeth seem very yellow in contrast to white face makeup; colouring the teeth black means that they seem to "disappear" in the darkness of the open mouth. This illusion is of course more pronounced at a distance.

made my day!! Dancing
rogermue
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 5:04:51 PM

Neurons: 34,900
Memoirs of a Geisha

A novel I can really recommend.
kenturner1
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 8:28:23 PM

Neurons: 11,475
Great posts! Great article!

**DISCLAIMER**