The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Everyone is as God has made him, and oftentimes a great deal worse. Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 87,948
Everyone is as God has made him, and oftentimes a great deal worse.

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)
philânderos
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 12:23:19 AM

Neurons: 373,312
En otras palabras, Dios no hizo buen trabajo, pero los humanos se pasaron.
Nikhil More
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 2:43:34 AM

Neurons: 2,636
d'oh!
Westley Payne
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 6:46:45 AM

Neurons: 19,966
God has made all things simple, but the man seeks many inventions!
Runi
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 6:53:09 AM

Neurons: 2,281
http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst27839_Every-man-is-as-heaven-made-him--and-sometimes-a-great-deal-worse-.aspx

Has Cervantes said both these variations?

What is more, I don't see any point in posting the same quote - all its loveliness and precision aside - twice.
pedro
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 7:27:00 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Everyone is as God has made him, and oftentimes a great deal worse. Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)

It was a very long time before human beings managed to invent transplant surgery but I expect God will take the credit for that as well.
curmudgeonine
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 8:30:25 AM

Neurons: 170,308
I agree, except for the God part.
Bully_rus
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 12:48:00 PM

Neurons: 266,496
Daemon wrote:

You can't outdo the God himself and thus there's only one way - down.
kenturner1
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 9:00:53 PM

Neurons: 11,475
I believe God gave humankind the intelligence to make the advancements in modern medicine and technology. I do not thing God and science are mutually exclusive. We are born with predispositions, idiosyncrasies and inclinations. Nature, nurture and free will determine which way we go with them.
Marguerite
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 10:13:49 PM

Neurons: 23,973
Why blame God for the choices one makes? I went to an AA meeting in Manhattan with a friend. A man stood up to make his declaration. He spoke with such passionate and sincerity. He said his name and that he was a drunk. Everyone said hello using his name. Then he said that he lost his job, his wife, a loving and caring wife, and nice pretty kids due to his drinking. Then he said one night when he couldn't say no to the next drink he took a gun from his coat pocket and fired it into the sky. He blamed God. If God knows everything and is capable of anything why wouldn't he kill this desire for alcohol. It was quite moving.
RamufAznag
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 11:18:36 PM

Neurons: 578,405
Ismat
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 2:51:09 AM

Neurons: 26,154
everyone is as God made him and oftentimes a great deal worse.....
God gave us the gift of thinking...so we are responsible of oiur acr and choices
pedro
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 7:15:47 AM

Neurons: 63,022
RamufAznag That used to be my signature until it was deemed too long to use. The 'problem' of evil is still the single strongest argument against an omnipotent merciful deity.
Verbatim
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 7:10:52 PM

Neurons: 246,429
Daemon wrote:

Not everyone. Some have devolved by natural selection.

philânderos
Posted: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 1:23:49 AM

Neurons: 373,312
Where does Epicurus's quotation come from?
Verbatim
Posted: Friday, March 7, 2014 2:18:10 PM

philanderos wrote:
Where does Epicurus's quotation come from?

Actually this quotation is disputed, there is no source for an attribution to Epicurus: " Attributed to Epicurus, as quoted in BBC Four, Atheism: A Rough History of Disbelief. No original source has been found for this quote (see: Talk:Epicurus)." --according to wikiquote.

It is no less but an affront to God by atheists to dispute His existence and power, as the witty phrase implies; as it is an affront to God by His believers
to pray "and do not lead us into temptation", when they acknowledge His omnipotence.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Friday, March 7, 2014 9:08:58 PM

Neurons: 30,654
@ Ramuf & Pedro,

If there is an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent GOD, and how could there not be, don't you think it foolishness to suppose that you can outsmart said God with human wit, corner said God with human logic and subject the thoughts and intents of said God to human reason.

God cannot be challenged and requires no defense.
gradyone
Posted: Saturday, March 8, 2014 11:40:39 AM

Neurons: 12,277

On the other hand, the concept of God is indefensible and requires no challenge.

God is what one makes it to be, and oftentimes a great deal worse.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Saturday, March 8, 2014 7:00:50 PM

Why grady; you speak with authority as if you knew this to be true.
gradyone
Posted: Sunday, March 9, 2014 12:54:42 AM

Absurdicuss wrote:

If there is an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent GOD, and how could there not be,
don't you think it foolishness to suppose that you can outsmart said God with human wit,
corner said God with human logic and subject the thoughts and intents of said God to human reason.

God cannot be challenged and requires no defense.

Likewise, Abs, you speak with authority as if you knew this to be true.

The concept of God is a human creation, sometimes beautiful and other times dreadful. As with any concept,
its validity should withstand rigorous questioning and testing. When you wrote the concept of "God cannot be challenged
and requires no defense," I thought of the converse: If the concept of God stakes its validity on ineffable traits
of omnipotence, omniscience and omnipresence, then the concept by its construction is indefensible and requires
no challenge. I introduced my thoughts with the phrase "on the other hand" to signal another interpretation, in a
congenial spirit of discussion, was on its way. That we take the time to post our thoughts here in such a spirit of
discussion authorizes us to speak our minds, attentively listen to members speaking theirs and have fun along the way.

My final thought was a humble attempt to revisit the original post lest I fall into a quagmire of thread-jacking. ..Anxious
Absurdicuss
Posted: Sunday, March 9, 2014 6:52:31 PM

As usual grady, your preceding post was as well written as ever. If I came across as confrontational, I do apologize.

I did write as though I know that I know that I know...when truthfully, I know that I don't know.

But how could we, employing our finite capacity, subject a being, entity, or concept, that by definition - possesses infinite qualities, to a battery of tests to verify said being's existence?

I propose that such a being's existence could only be first conceived and known by divine design and deposit into the human heart.

To your last sentence I quip: The mere mention of God is conducive to endless digression. It's as if God is everywhere and in everything.
Not meant in a pantheistic sense.
Verbatim
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 1:19:32 AM

Daemon wrote:

What we should question--believers and non-believers alike--is the fairness of the statement, coming from Cervantes.
gradyone
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 3:30:16 AM

It's all good, Abs. Thanks for taking the time to continue our discussion.
I didn't find your post I responded to confrontational, but I did consider it and several of
your recent posts in other threads preachy. I figured my response in this thread was the right
place at the right time to offer our readers another point of view.

I applaud and completely share the sentiment of your statement in your last post, "I know that I don't know."
The encyclopedia of my ignorance has many volumes. Both of us have been around long enough to know
it's important to think through and take a stand on ideas that affect our lives and the lives of millions
into billions of human beings. From my studies of the concepts of God my thoughts always spiral back to
considering what those concepts mean to us and what actions we take by them. I respect the tremendous value
faith in their concept of God brings to good people on a daily basis.

Concepts of God are some of the very best creations of our collective consciousness. Faith in an omniscient,
merciful God inspires individuals and groups of like-minded people to commit innumerable acts of kindness,
charity and empathy, giving of themselves to help others. It's abominable that faith in restrictive concepts
of God lead to innumerable acts of subjugation of and violence against others, but so it has been throughout
our history and continues to be . . .
Digression? Digression in a good discussion can be as delicious as a cherry on whipped cream. ..
Verbatim
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:21:20 PM

Daemon wrote:

The quotation oddly implies that people owe bad, (or good?) qualities and features to their maker. "Oftentimes a great deal worse" seems to indicate the bad.
That sounds like a pitiful excuse for what people are capable of as seen throughout history and going on today, almost placing the blame on God?.

It is true that what Man does to himself or fails to do FOR himself, God should not be expected to set aright, surely not more than once.
We came into this world with a limited warranty, so to speak: We must look after our own good maintenance.