The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Nina Simone (1933) Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,985
Nina Simone (1933)

After winning acclaim in 1959 with her recording of George Gershwin's "I Loves You, Porgy," American singer-songwriter and pianist Nina Simone toured the US and Europe. She soon put her talents and newfound fame to work for the civil rights movement, writing and performing protest songs such as "Mississippi Goddam" and "To Be Young, Gifted and Black." Dissatisfied with the treatment of African Americans in the US, the "High Priestess of Soul" expatriated herself in the 1970s. Where did she go? More...
curmudgeonine
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 8:53:42 AM

Neurons: 170,308
I'd never heard of Ms. Simone until one song was used in a movie soundtrack in the 90s (I think) I don't remember the movie, but what a lovely, soulful voice in that song. So smooth.
Guto André
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 12:57:30 PM

Neurons: 25,311
Simone left the United States in September 1970, flying to Barbados and expecting Stroud to communicate with her when she had to perform again. However, Stroud interpreted Simone's sudden disappearance, and the fact that she had left behind her wedding ring, as an indication of a desire for a divorce. As her manager, Stroud was in charge of Simone's income.

Marguerite
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 9:48:44 PM

Neurons: 23,973
Nina Simone encountered discrimination of every turn here in the good ole USA, yet she rose to the top of her profession. What a great musical mind she must have possessed. I listened to her on You Tube and I didn't resonate with the sound of her voice.