The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Silk Road 2 Hacked, $2.7 Million Worth of Bitcoins Stolen Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 88,215
Silk Road 2 Hacked, $2.7 Million Worth of Bitcoins Stolen

Silk Road, an anonymous online marketplace where users paid in bitcoins and the goods were often illegal, was seized and shut down by the FBI in 2013. Shortly thereafter, Silk Road 2 came online and trade resumed. Last week, the site's administrator announced that hackers had exploited a newly discovered vulnerability in Bitcoin protocol and emptied Silk Road 2's coffers—withdrawing the equivalent of $2.7 million from customers' accounts. Not everyone believes the administrator's account of events; some speculate that he saw an opportunity when the vulnerability came to light and stole the money knowing he could blame the theft on hackers. More...
Guto André
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:52:20 AM

Neurons: 25,311
Just when people were starting to believe the bitcoin could be the currency of the future, these robberies can bite the confidence.
Alice M Toaster
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:08:10 AM

Neurons: 1,389,383
Since the Silk Road site is often used for illegal purposes, does it matter that the "money" was stolen? Are other sites that use bitcoins also often used for illegal purposes?
Kisekiko
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:42:37 AM

Neurons: 5,825
"Defcon said that all its customers' bitcoins were being stored online because of planned relaunches of some of the site's features." What sort of features would require all customers to have their BTC stored online with them at launch time? And how the heck did they convince their users to actually DO that?
GreenBanana
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:04:28 PM

Neurons: 20,818
Aww, those poor babies. "Wahh, wahh, I want to have stuff I don't have permission to have! Why can't I have ALL the cookies in the cookie jar, Mommy!? I DON'T WANT TO GO TO MY ROOM!" Poor, poor babies. :( Their indulgences are SO important...to themselves.
Gustavo de S Consoni
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 1:54:08 PM

Neurons: 76,559
Bitcoin is a currency very useful for cybercrime.
Attackers has been targeted payment processors and financial services firms in order to steal corporate financial data straight from the source