The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Peter Abelard Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,883
Peter Abelard

Abelard was a 12th-century French philosopher and teacher whose career was derailed by a scandalous relationship with a tutee named Heloise. After a son and a secret marriage, Abelard sent Heloise to a convent to protect her from her disapproving family. In response, her uncle had Abelard castrated. Heloise became an abbess, while Abelard sought refuge as a monk. After his first theological work was burned as heretical, he established a monastery and resumed teaching. What were his last words? More...
Marguerite
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:30:49 AM

Neurons: 23,973
What a story; this is an article that has something for everybody. Peter Abelard, a genius with a sex drive, couldn't find contentment with Heloise to his eventual downfall. She, on the other hand, remained steadfast, retained his remains, and presumably, she was buried with him in that astonishing cemetry of Père Lachaise. To this day lovers leave letters at Peter and Heloise's crypt hoping for better results in their own love affairs. If wishes were horses, beggar would ride.
My two questions: Is Peter a cad, marrying Heloise secretly and then dumping her in a convent? Given the facts in the case, why did she continue to love him?
mangezi
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 12:11:17 PM

Neurons: 65,799
Marguerite wrote:
My two questions: Is Peter a cad, marrying Heloise secretly and then dumping her in a convent? Given the facts in the case, why did she continue to love him?

Maybe, you never know with lovers, they had a heart to heart discussion in which he made her believe he really loved and all he was doing it was for their love.

What I don't comprehend is what was it he did not know as the article shows he "knew".

I am not a genius. I am just a tremendous bundle of experience - Richard Fuller.
Guto André
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 12:54:30 PM

Neurons: 25,311
He is said to have uttered the last words "I don't know", before expiring.[11] He died from a combination of fever and a skin disorder, most likely scurvy.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:35:11 PM

Neurons: 30,144
Hello Marguerite,

Astonishing that a man's uncle could "have him castrated". Holy crap!

Considering that the castration took place within the context of cultural norms we must give weight to the pressure bearing upon Abelard's decision to ship his love off to a convent.

He may have rightly judged this to be the only safe recourse for her protection.

I can imagine the lovely Catholics burning her at the stake to preserve the integrity of the church.

A bloody irony.

Therefore I find it impossible to determine whether or not Abelard was a cad.

"Now" is the eternal present.