The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Huston, I am having vs. I have a problem! Options
endre
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 8:00:32 AM

Neurons: 6
Ahoy,ahoya, can someone please help me: Is it gramatically correct to say "I am having a problem" when refering to a temporary situation, as contrasted to: "I have a problem" as a more permanent situation? Thank you! Endre
sandraleesmith46
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 9:15:17 AM

Neurons: 2,132
endre wrote:
Ahoy,ahoya, can someone please help me: Is it gramatically correct to say "I am having a problem" when refering to a temporary situation, as contrasted to: "I have a problem" as a more permanent situation? Thank you! Endre

I generally use "I am having a problem" when speaking of an interpersonal matter, and "I have a problem" when referring to some other type of situation such as a problem with a mechanical device. Actually, I think they're pretty much interchangable, but that's a personal preference I have in usage, since "I am having a problem" denotes something within me is having a difficulty about another person, which doesn't imply it's the other's fault, where "I have a problem" tends to imply the fault is outside me personally, as in a malfunctioning device. I hope this helps, Endre.

fair winds and following seas
endre
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 10:06:59 AM

Neurons: 6
Sandra, thanks a lot! Happy Christmas!
pbrennan42
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 8:46:59 PM

Neurons: 9
In UK English "I am having a problem" has fallen out of favour for two reasons:

1. Brevity. "I have a problem" is always faster and easier to say and write. We do not infer fault with such a phrase, only the fact that you have a problem. This is because we still have the (sometimes erroneous) belief that sometimes things are not really anyone's fault, they just "are".

2. Cultural or Racial Stereotyping. Non-native English speakers can sometimes use forms that are either deemed archaic or just inappropriate usage for what they are trying to express. I think the nearest thing the Americans have to this is the phenomenon we all call "Engrish" - "I am having a problem" is now considered to be "Engrish" usage.