The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Entire US Figure Skating Team Killed in Plane Crash (1961) Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 85,395
Entire US Figure Skating Team Killed in Plane Crash (1961)

February 15, 1961, was a dark day in figure skating history. On that day, 72 people, including all 18 members of the US Figure Skating team and 16 family members, coaches, and skating officials, died when their flight from New York to Brussels went down in a field just miles from its destination. A farm worker on the ground also perished. The skaters had been en route to the 1961 World Championships in Prague, Czechoslovakia. What did the event's organizers do to honor the dead athletes? More...
Professor
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:35:53 AM

Neurons: 42,160
Daemon wrote:
Entire US Figure Skating Team Killed in Plane Crash (1961)

February 15, 1961, was a dark day in figure skating history. On that day, 72 people, including all 18 members of the US Figure Skating team and 16 family members, coaches, and skating officials, died when their flight from New York to Brussels went down in a field just miles from its destination. A farm worker on the ground also perished. The skaters had been en route to the 1961 World Championships in Prague, Czechoslovakia. What did the event's organizers do to honor the dead athletes? More...

Cancelled the championship and created a USFS Memorial Fund.

"You reveal your character by what you do with what you have."
Christine
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:01:08 PM

Neurons: 15,842
I love to watch ice skating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0cYfPXxcco
Documentary - the 1961 U.S. Figure Skating Team & the Saben

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

Marguerite
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:21:43 PM

Neurons: 23,973
This article brought back a day in history when I was just a kid and liked to watch and still do the ice skaters with their flimsy squinted costumes with the white skates. Lesson learned: never live near an airport for it is in the departures and arrivals that most problems arise.
mangezi
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 1:12:30 PM

Neurons: 65,799
Marguerite wrote:
This article brought back a day in history when I was just a kid and liked to watch and still do the ice skaters with their flimsy squinted costumes with the white skates. Lesson learned: never live near an airport for it is in the departures and arrivals that most problems arise.

I am sure in the Lockerby incident no one was near the airport. But you are right, take-off and touch-down times are the most accidental.

I am not a genius. I am just a tremendous bundle of experience - Richard Fuller.
youme
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:31:53 PM

Neurons: 1,793
So sad to see such a tragic crash, but it's good hear when the investigations led to the real causes of the crash so that it won't happen again, well when a boeing is involved in the accident usually things get obscuerd, I don't think the cockpit voice and flight data recorders didn't show enough evidence!
Guto André
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:41:16 PM

Neurons: 25,311
A film about the event, called RISE, was commissioned by U.S. Figure Skating to celebrate American figure skating and commemorating the 50th anniversary of the accident.[6] RISE was filmed in 2010 and shown in theaters nationwide for one day only: February 17, 2011, with one encore performance on March 7, 2011.[6] The film was shown on the Versus network on October 22, 2011.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 10:50:59 PM

Neurons: 30,361
An incredibly tragic loss of life and promise, hope and energy too sorrowful to describe even 53 years after the awful event.

I hope they're all skating in heaven.

"Now" is the eternal present.
Christine
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 7:50:10 AM

Neurons: 15,842
Absurdicuss wrote:
An incredibly tragic loss of life and promise, hope and energy too sorrowful to describe even 53 years after the awful event.

I hope they're all skating in heaven.

Heaven is cold? Heavens no.

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

Absurdicuss
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 12:15:40 PM

Neurons: 30,361
But Christine, it ain't Heaven if skating conditions aren't perfect.

"Now" is the eternal present.