The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Vitamin C Possible Cancer Fighter Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,985
Vitamin C Possible Cancer Fighter

In the 1970s, Nobel Prize-winning chemist Linus Pauling reported success treating cancer with intravenous vitamin C. However, when clinical trials of oral vitamin C failed to yield results, the medical establishment largely abandoned this line of research. Now, decades later, researchers are finding that injected vitamin C can kill cancer cells without harming healthy cells and that, when used in combination with chemotherapy, it can slow tumor growth and curb chemotherapy side effects. More...
Gustavo de S Consoni
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 6:55:48 AM

Neurons: 76,559
But we must be aware! Hypervitaminosis is toxic effect from ingesting too much preformed Vitamin.
I don`t know about Vitamin C, but Vitamin A is very dangerous.
Guto André
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 9:30:24 AM

Neurons: 25,311
Italian scientists have tried using baking soda to treat cancer, as well as understand that a cold sore, the origin of the disease may be bacterial (fungi) and not by viruses as you think so far.
Guto André
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 9:30:55 AM

Neurons: 25,311
No peer-reviewed articles in medical journals were found supporting the theory that cancer is caused by a fungus infection or a yeast infection. Available peer-reviewed medical journals do not support claims that sodium bicarbonate works as a cancer treatment.

Scientists require certain kinds of evidence to support claims that a kind of germ causes a certain disease. The first requirement is that the germ should be present in all cases of the disease. Simoncini claims that all tumors contain fungi. But these fungi have not been found in tumors when biopsies are examined by methods capable of revealing fungi in infected tissue. Another requirement is that infecting laboratory animals with the germ should cause the disease. Infections can develop in animals that are exposed to Candida albicans, but there are no credible reports that this exposure or infection causes cancer. Finally, when researchers remove diseased tissue from infected laboratory animals, they should be able to recover the germs and grow them in laboratory dishes. There are no reports in scientific journals that this has been observed for Candida albicans and cancer of experimental animals.

A number of Web sites propose various reasons people believe there is a connection between fungus and cancer (for example, that Candida albicans can cause serious infections, and that cancer is a serious disease). However, none of these Web sites show scientific evidence supported by credible experiments or clinical trials.

Fungal infection deep in the body is a serious health problem that can be fatal. Although a number of antifungal drugs are available to treat these infections, there is no evidence that sodium bicarbonate can. There is no evidence that most people with cancer have any deep tissue yeast or fungal infections. People whose immune systems are weakened by high doses of chemotherapy can sometimes contract these kinds of infections. While antifungal drugs can often cure the infection, there is no evidence that antifungal treatment causes the patients' tumors to shrink. If this had happened, the doctors caring for these patients would have been likely to report it in medical journals.

Some people with cancer have other health conditions for which sodium bicarbonate is used. But, again, there is no evidence that sodium bicarbonate has caused their tumors to shrink. Chewable sodium bicarbonate tablets or powder are a common over-the-counter treatment that is used to neutralize stomach acid that causes heartburn. Intravenous sodium bicarbonate is used as a conventional treatment to reduce acidity of blood in serious conditions like shock, severe dehydration, and uncontrolled kidney failure or diabetes.

Marguerite
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 9:52:09 AM

Neurons: 23,973
Thank you Guto André for your very information write up. Since I hope that Vitamin C may help in keeping one healthy, can anyone recommend an honest brand of Vitamin C?
Hope2
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 9:57:49 AM

Neurons: 16,769
Complementary care doctors have been/are using high doses of Vitamin C intravenously as an adjunct to chemotherapy. But the timing has to be right. My doc said that in between and not during chemo, as it may cancel out the chemo drugs, is the theory right now.

Gustavo, you are correct. You can overdose on Vitamin A because it is stored in fat, and we do not take those supplements. (Although I used to take them directed by my doctor for five days during an acute infection.) Excess Vitamin C is just excreted by the body.

S-Boulardii is another yeast that does not colonize and it can counteract Candida Albicans. It is also used during the ingestion of antibiotics to prevent the overgrowth of microbes when the good bacteria is being killed along with the bad.

But since drug companies are not able to patent these vitamins and probiotics, there will be no studies. Docs don't even tell their patients about taking probiotics while taking antibiotics for bacterial infection.

Most of the immune system is in the gut so people need healthy guts. We take a daily probiotic and rotate three kinds in three days. One of these has the s-Boulardii in it as well as the bacterial ones.

However, I am neither a doctor nor an expert. I am just telling you what we take ourselves.

Hope2
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 10:09:44 AM

Neurons: 16,769
Marguerite,

Ester-C is supposed to be the best now.

Ester-C Supreme by Sisu has vitamin C from calcium ascorbate, and includes other ingredients such as berries and Quercetin in it. It is made by a Canadian company and may not be available in the US. But the Sisu company branched off from a US company a few years back so you should be able to find a similar composition here. I just can't remember the US name. There will be other good brands too.

With Ester-C the usual dose is 600 mg as it is absorbed better and is easier on your stomach than ascorbic acid.

I also use vitamin C for its antihistamine properties against allergy. Even a bit of barely wet C powder rubbed on the skin will stop the itching from a mosquito or black fly bite. Works for me, anyhow.

However, I am neither a doctor nor an expert. I am just telling you what we take ourselves.

Edit - Sisu is available in the US I think. At least there is a Sisu.com. You can google it. I won't post the URL but it gives a good explanation about human need to ingest Vitamin C.