The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Live all you can - it's a mistake not to. It doesn't so much matter what you do in particular, so long as you have your life.... Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,823
Live all you can - it's a mistake not to. It doesn't so much matter what you do in particular, so long as you have your life. If you haven't had that, what have you had?

Henry James (1843-1916)
vijayendra kumar sinha
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:11:24 AM

Neurons: 5,041
Life is precious . It can not be dispensed with for any other thing .
vijayendra kumar sinha
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:41:42 AM

Neurons: 5,041
Life is precious and it can be dispensed with only for the good of masses.
dulcinian
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:20:14 AM

Neurons: 56,075
I fully agree. It's difficult to life all you can, though.

Regards
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:01:22 AM

Neurons: 258,708
Daemon wrote:
Live all you can - it's a mistake not to. It doesn't so much matter what you do in particular, so long as you have your life. If you haven't had that, what have you had?

Henry James (1843-1916)

Problem is that nowadays mankind can very much. That's why we have a global warming and climate change even if we somehow discard a pollution all over the globe.
PS An everlasting afterlife?
Runi
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:55:09 AM

Neurons: 2,281
Nice quote.

Since the weather's pretty good hereabout today, I feel like sharing this particular quote from a special movie from the early 1990s:

When young, we mourn for one woman - as we grow old, for women in general.
The tragedy of life is that man is never free, yet strives for what can never be.
The thing most feared in secret always happens.
My life, my loves, where are they now?
But the more the pain grows, the more this instinct for life somehow asserts itself. The necessary beauty in life is in giving yourself to it completely. Only later will it clarify itself and become coherent.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:20:48 AM

Neurons: 30,654
Without your life you're...dead. Any questions?

"Now" is the eternal present.
Hope2
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:36:36 AM

Neurons: 16,769
To die well, one has to have lived well.

I like what Mahatma Gandhi said when he defined happiness, which was, happiness is when what you think, say, and do are in harmony. Or some such words.

No matter the challenges of life, no matter how stressful things are, do what you love, hopefully something that is useful or helpful to others but also to yourself, and work hard. Be genuine and authentic, so you feel a resonance with what you are doing. Gandhi's harmony.

And you will know it when it happens because you will be living your happy life, grateful for what you have.

This is what I tell my grans.

Most of the trouble in the world is caused by people wanting to be important. T. S. Eliot
Guto André
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:49:59 AM

Neurons: 25,311
Carpe Diem. Live as if no tomorrow, because if you stop to think there is actually no.
Gustavo de S Consoni
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:06:34 AM

Neurons: 76,559
Let's live for good ideas! Our mission is make a better world for the next generation!
curmudgeonine
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:13:43 AM

Neurons: 170,308
I love his quote:
Three things in life are important. The first is to be kind, the second is to be kind and the third is to be kind.
PCNL
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:53:05 PM

Neurons: 279,229
What is life?
are we really living now?
I think:
this is just a passing phase, it is a test or an exam, to show or prove which one is good and which one is bad. This so called life is just an illusion, like in the movie Matrix,this is not what it seems.
death is the end of the test, and is the door to life
The good one, who passes the test successfully, will live the life (the real life) in "heaven"
So, if what I think is right, then I agree we must live fully our life, but before we must prepare in this world and be successful in the exam.
mirilli
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 1:45:13 PM

Neurons: 1,594,995
What is life? Awarness and commitment, otherwise we vegetate.
Dr. Mohammed Albadri
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:25:39 PM

Neurons: 77,915
Do and live for your life as if you are immortal, and work for your hereafter as if you will die tomorrow.
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:14:48 PM

Neurons: 350,106
Daemon wrote:

Henry James (1843-1916)

Ah, but what **exactly** is it to "live?"

Therein lies the essence of the quote. Do we "live" by following a narcissistic, self-centered path?

Or do we truly only "live" by actively caring about others equal to ourselves?

The best way to control the opposition is to finance it. Birds of prey have two wings; the left wing & right wing.
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:16:03 PM

Neurons: 350,106
mirilli wrote:
What is life? Awarness and commitment, otherwise we vegetate.

I like the idea you are communicating here... it is very true, IMHO and experience.

The best way to control the opposition is to finance it. Birds of prey have two wings; the left wing & right wing.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:22:52 PM

Neurons: 556,174
However unsatisfactory your life has been, that was your life and you have lived it. Young mothers talk about "getting my life back" when their child is old enough for school - as though young motherhood was a waste of their time.

Justice must be seen to be donuts.
Yasmin
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:23:24 PM

Neurons: 7,213
Daemon wrote:

Henry James (1843-1916)

I just want to quote a verse in the Bible. 1 Corinthians 10:23 “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive.

Yes we can live our lives all we can but what will be it's impact on us and the people around us. We should live our lives for the good. There is a continuous battle of good and evil, so as we live our lives, we should choose on which side are we.
Desiree
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 9:09:11 PM

Neurons: 202,747
Take your time to enjoy life, although "getting old is the only means to live a long...long
time."
Verbatim
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:06:28 PM

Neurons: 246,014
Daemon wrote:

Henry James (1843-1916)

The quotation is not from Vanity Fair, different author too, but it would "live up" to nothing less for most of its characters.

Lambert Strether, the main character of Henry James' "The Ambassadors", (1903), gives us his newly-found tardy regret by way of overreaction:
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/41612-live-all-you-can-it-s-a-mistake-not-to-it

""“Live all you can; it's a mistake not to. It doesn't so much matter what you do in particular so long as you have your life. If you haven't had that what have you had? … I haven’t done so enough before—and now I'm too old; too old at any rate for what I see. … What one loses one loses; make no mistake about that. … Still, we have the illusion of freedom; therefore don't be, like me, without the memory of that illusion. I was either, at the right time, too stupid or too intelligent to have it; I don’t quite know which. Of course at present I'm a case of reaction against the mistake. … Do what you like so long as you don't make my mistake. For it was a mistake. Live!”""

You can have your life, enjoy it too, but what you do with it matters.