The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

One must be poor to know the luxury of giving. Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 82,371
One must be poor to know the luxury of giving.

George Eliot (1819-1880)
Arin Movses
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:49:25 AM

Neurons: 20,840
The Luxury of Giving always inspires and motivates those who never expect a response ...
The Art of Giving is something human beings need to survive as “It is more blessed to give than to receive”
Acts. 20:35
Ավելի երանելի է տալը , քան առնելը: Գործք 20:35
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 1:27:28 AM

Neurons: 330,362
To be able under all circumstances to practice five things constitutes perfect virtue; these five things are gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness. – Confucius (The Granddaddy of Wisdom)

Bonus: "Indeed, my Lord extends provision for whom He wills of His servants and restricts [it] for him. But whatever thing you spend [in His cause] - He will compensate it; and He is the best of providers." Quran 34:39

D V Sharma
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 1:31:30 AM

Neurons: 227,123
The excellence of a gift lies in its appropriateness rather than in its value.
---Charles Dudley.

d v sharma,India
Panos
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:37:04 AM

Neurons: 5,250
Poor in money but rich in emotions

"Εν οίδα, ότι ουδέν οίδα" Socrates
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:05:02 AM

Neurons: 226,454
Daemon wrote:

George Eliot (1819-1880)

As well as one must be rich to know the misery of consuming. Others unfortunate creatures must be content with faith in words of wisdom.
Guto André
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:17:58 AM

Neurons: 25,311
Rich people don't are measured by treasures them, but by behavior them and by that carry in them heart and mind.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:41:58 AM

Neurons: 503,912
Guto André wrote:
Rich people don't are measured by treasures them, but by behavior them and by that carry in them heart and mind.

I don't understand this sentence, Guto Andre. May I respectfully suggest that you try again to translate from your language to English. Thank you.

I remember, therefore I am.
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:17:52 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Daemon wrote:

So true!

When a person in America's fast-disappearing middle class gives to charity, it is really a sacrifice.

When rich people give to charity, it is nothing to them (in fact, it may help them pay less tax).

It galls me when TV commecials and magazine advertisements ask the ordinary middle-class person to donate to this or that charity. Supporting charities is the least that rich people should do.

There is a charity that collects money to help children in the world who have been born with deformities. The rich people in this world could easily pay for every operation that is needed for those children. A couple of million dollars would mean nothing to them.
avi21nash
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:53:52 AM

Neurons: 3,773
Turn the pages of history and you'll know .

Avinash
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:14:53 AM

If a person gives sacrificially the luxury of giving will be experienced, whether by rich or poor.

jcbarros
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:39:21 AM

Neurons: 9,052
...and one must be rich to know how it hurts.
Jo-Anne
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:04:40 AM

Neurons: 58
Have been on the poor side it is very seldom that the rich reach out in giving. It is the people who are so close to being in the position of need and assistance that are heartful. I believe this is why the commercials hit the general public with emotional pleas during the holiday seasons. Pulling on the heartstrings.
GordonB
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:28:09 AM

Neurons: 2,054
What is unclear? But, rather, consider the poor widow in the Gsopel who all that she had donated.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:46:59 AM

Neurons: 56,199
jacobusmaximus wrote:
Guto André wrote:

I don't understand this sentence, Guto Andre. May I respectfully suggest that you try again to translate from your language to English. Thank you.

I think what André is trying to say is:

Rich people aren't measured by their wealth (treasures), but by their behavior. Their behavior reveals what they carry in their heart and mind.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Professor
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:47:33 AM

Neurons: 42,087
Daemon wrote:

George Eliot (1819-1880)

It is really not simply that one must be poor, to understand the luxury of giving. One cannot give without getting something in reward. A gift keeps on giving and often is more valuable to the giver in the end. That said is is not about being rich or poor, it is about one's character. As my personal quote on life alludes.

"You reveal your character by what you do with what you have."
capitán
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:23:58 AM

Neurons: 23,124
Daemon wrote:

George Eliot (1819-1880)

---

Or one must be poor to really know the importance of giving.
ithink140
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:27:36 PM

Neurons: 17,922
Presumably this quote focuses on material giving because one can give love and kindness irrespective of material wealth. Even if that is so it belies the fact that even the poor can give of their meagre possessions... giving in any sense is not confined to the rich.

'Life is too short to be eaten up by hate.'
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:40:43 PM

FounDit wrote:
jacobusmaximus wrote:
Guto André wrote:

I think what André is trying to say is:

Rich people aren't measured by their wealth (treasures), but by their behavior. Their behavior reveals what they carry in their heart and mind.

Thank you Foundit. I can see that now.

Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 1:00:09 PM

Neurons: 350,106
TheParser wrote:
Daemon wrote:

So true!

When a person in America's fast-disappearing middle class gives to charity, it is really a sacrifice.

When rich people give to charity, it is nothing to them (in fact, it may help them pay less tax).

It galls me when TV commecials and magazine advertisements ask the ordinary middle-class person to donate to this or that charity. Supporting charities is the least that rich people should do.

There is a charity that collects money to help children in the world who have been born with deformities. The rich people in this world could easily pay for every operation that is needed for those children. A couple of million dollars would mean nothing to them.

If you research intently, you might find it is the super rich (not rich, super rich) people who have set systems in play that actually deform the children.

Think depleted uranium in Iraq. This impacts "the troops" as well, the people Henry Kissinger referred to as "dumb animals" that are good for enacting international monetary and banking cartel foreign policy. You know, "support the troops" by forcing them to inhale depleted uranium that "the brass" knows is a death sentence on the installment plan.

The best way to control the opposition is to finance it. Birds of prey have two wings; the left wing & right wing.
Professor
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 1:13:09 PM

Neurons: 42,087
Professor wrote:
Daemon wrote:

George Eliot (1819-1880)

It is really not simply that one must be poor, to understand the luxury of giving. One cannot give without getting something in reward. A gift keeps on giving and often is more valuable to the giver in the end. That said is is not about being rich or poor, it is about one's character. As my personal quote on life alludes.

In this world there are two types of people, not rich or poor, they are "Givers" and "Takers." Which one are you going to be?

"You reveal your character by what you do with what you have."
Ismat
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:14:25 PM

Neurons: 26,154
the poor know what it means to be in need ..generally they give more than rich one ..they help more,feel other people problems and pains because they were there.. most of rich people have no limits they always want more...thank GOD that richness is not only in money ,you can give by listening ,sharing,understanding, be there for those in need...may God helps us all rich and poor ..some rich are poorer and some poor are richer
Ismat
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:15:30 PM

Neurons: 26,154
the poor know what it means to be in need ..generally they give more than rich one ..they help more,feel other people problems and pains because they were there.. most of rich people have no limits they always want more...thank GOD that richness is not only in money ,you can give by listening ,sharing,understanding, be there for those in need...may God helps us all rich and poor ..some rich are poorer and some poor are richer
Gayle48
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:22:59 PM

Neurons: 11,527
re Guto Andre......Rich people are not measured by their treasures but by their behavior and what they carry in their heart and soul.
Verbatim
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:49:18 PM

Neurons: 245,192
Daemon wrote:

George Eliot (1819-1880)

The absolute reward for Giving is not the "Luxury or Pleasure of It", certainly not that which we may expect in return. It is the supreme capacity, the state of mind, of expecting nothing in return for our giving, a very rare beforehand blessing, a reward in advance. Such an absolute reward makes the act of giving somewhat an anticlimax.
Dosei Iantha Evans
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:02:20 PM

Neurons: 25,619
true, true.
richer people are often less empathetic than poorer people
Yasmin
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:42:48 PM

Neurons: 7,213
If you are rich and you give, it may somehow mean nothing because you have lots. But if you are poor and you give, it will mean so much more because what little you have you are willing to share. That's true giving.
Hope2
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:13:34 AM

Neurons: 16,769
Yasmin wrote:
If you are rich and you give, it may somehow mean nothing because you have lots. But if you are poor and you give, it will mean so much more because what little you have you are willing to share. That's true giving.

This is also what I understood from the quote which is out of context.

I don't think she meant to vilify the rich, but was just trying to point out what Yasmin said about the poor still being able to give when it hurt.

There are lots of rich people who give money, time, and effort, and most of the time we are not even aware of it because they don't publicize it either. It is easy to envy the rich.

Most of the trouble in the world is caused by people wanting to be important. T. S. Eliot
Verbatim
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:11:59 PM

Daemon wrote:

George Eliot (1819-1880)

Here's to know the luxury of context from Middlemarch, Chapter 17. Miss Noble is, perhaps, an eccentric old spinster who stashes away small items of food,
such as sugar cubes, from the household of her relatives, to share with the poor.

""Meanwhile tiny Miss Noble carried on her arm a small basket, into which she diverted a bit of sugar, which she had first dropped in her saucer as if by mistake; looking round furtively afterwards, and reverting to her teacup with a small innocent noise as of a tiny timid quadruped. Pray think no ill of Miss Noble. That basket held small savings from her more portable food, destined for the children of her poor friends among whom she trotted on fine mornings; fostering and petting all needy creatures being so spontaneous a delight to her, that she regarded it much as if it had been a pleasant vice that she was addicted to. Perhaps she was conscious of being tempted to steal from those who had much that she might give to those who had nothing, and carried in her conscience the guilt of that repressed desire. One must be poor to know the luxury of giving! ""

Giving for the pleasure of it.
Hope2
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 6:01:21 PM

Neurons: 16,769
Thanks once again, Verbatim, for the context.

Most of the trouble in the world is caused by people wanting to be important. T. S. Eliot
Verbatim
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:16:17 PM

You are welcome, Hope2.