The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Lincoln's Birthday Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,100
Lincoln's Birthday

Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president of the United States, was born on Feb. 12, 1809. A wreath-laying ceremony and reading of the Gettysburg Address at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., are traditional on Feb. 12. Lincoln's actual birthday is a legal holiday in 11 states: California, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, and West Virginia. In most other states, Lincoln's and George Washington's birthdays are combined for a legal holiday on the third Monday in February called Presidents' Day. More...
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:02:11 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Mr. Lincoln, according to all accounts, was a very nice man.

And his Gettysburg Address is very moving -- despite the fact that The Times (the leading and most influential newspaper in England at that time) ridiculed it.

But I agree with our Southern friends that Mr. Lincoln had no constitutional right to force the South to stay in the Union.

The deaths of 600,000 (600,000!) young Americans was absolutely unnecessary -- in my OPINION.
Guto André
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:32:39 AM

Neurons: 25,311
Great president, great man. Deserved Tribute.
Professor
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:56:12 AM

Neurons: 42,087
TheParser wrote:
Mr. Lincoln, according to all accounts, was a very nice man.

And his Gettysburg Address is very moving -- despite the fact that The Times (the leading and most influential newspaper in England at that time) ridiculed it.

But I agree with our Southern friends that Mr. Lincoln had no constitutional right to force the South to stay in the Union.

The deaths of 600,000 (600,000!) young Americans was absolutely unnecessary -- in my OPINION.

It was more than simply keeping the Union together. It was about the emancipation of slaves and everything that stood for as being just, humane and right.

"You reveal your character by what you do with what you have."
ithink140
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:39:04 PM

Neurons: 17,922
You opined Professor: It was about the emancipation of slaves and everything that stood for as being just, humane and right.

Indeed it was not. That was political expediency as the speeches and letters of Lincoln reveal. He said in one of his letters that he would do whatever it took, and say whatever was needed, to keep the union together. He considered the blacks as inferior and was against the mixing of the races. He even mooted the notion of enforced repatriation of the blacks.

'Life is too short to be eaten up by hate.'
Gustavo de S Consoni
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:41:24 PM

Neurons: 76,559
In my opinion, one of the greatest Lincoln´s job was the help push through Congress the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution: abolished slavery and involuntary servitude.