The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The Goseck Circle Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 89,022
The Goseck Circle

Hailed as "the German Stonehenge," the Goseck circle is a Neolithic structure in Goseck, Germany. It is the oldest such structure known today, built about 7,000 years ago—and pre-dating Stonehenge by almost 2,000 years. Rediscovered during an aerial survey in 1991, the site consists of a circular ditch 246 feet (75 m) across surrounding two concentric palisade rings with gates in spots aligned with the sunrise and sunset on the winter solstice. When was the Goseck Circle re-opened to the public? More...
Guto André
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:10:14 AM

Neurons: 25,311
Bertemes and Biehl have continued the excavation for a few weeks each year. In 2004 a group from the University of California, Berkeley, joined the ongoing dig, giving it an international scope. Archaeologists and state officials have reconstructed the wooden palisade of the circle. Woodworkers worked with hand tools so that the wooden posts would look more authentic. The site was opened to public on 21 December 2005, the winter solstice.

rogermue
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:32:10 AM

Neurons: 34,900
Interesting. I have never heard of the Goseck Circle. As I understand it it is not a stone circle as Stonehenge, but a circle of wooden palisades. Are the wooden poles original ones? I can't believe that wooden poles last 7000 years.

mangezi
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 11:30:36 AM

Neurons: 65,799
rogermue wrote:
Interesting. I have never heard of the Goseck Circle. As I understand it it is not a stone circle as Stonehenge, but a circle of wooden palisades. Are the wooden poles original ones? I can't believe that wooden poles last 7000 years.

poles? And the comparison to Stonehenge?
rogermue
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:34:45 PM

Stonehenge, in the South of Engliand

Absurdicuss
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:12:22 PM

Neurons: 30,654
I suppose that "science" (noun) has determined that these ancient primitive folk chipped this incredible structure to precise measure, position and astronomical alignment with string and stone hand tools.

Yeah right.
rogermue
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 11:02:37 PM

Sorry, I didn't read Guto André's post carefully enough. The wooden posts are a reconstruction, he said.
rogermue
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 11:07:09 PM

The Goseck Circle - a reconstruction. Situated in Sachsony-Anhalt, see map below.
The neolithic circular enclosure of Goseck was erected at around 4800 BC.

Source of the picture: Link
This is an online article of stern.de. Stern is a German weekly magazine.

The federal state with the capital Magdeburg is Saxony-Anhalt.
Hope2
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 9:30:39 AM

Neurons: 16,769
Off topic except for a comparison of times, as I was reminded of the Mayan Ruins.

I was impressed with the ancient Mayan culture when I saw their various ruins in Mexico. Chichen Itza was set up to align with the planets and even the solstices are represented on their days with light patterns.

But this Goseck Circle was years and years before the Mayans and was used as a calendar even then.

Chichen Itza – The Sacred City of the Itza
Chichen Itza (chee-chehn eet-sah) means“Mouth of the well of the Itza” named for the large cenote and water source by the first settlers of the city. The first settlers of the land were the Itza’s around 400 A.D. where the city was developed as an agriculturally based society. The Sacred Cenote supplied water to the farmers and continues to be the focal point of Chichen Itza’s evolution as a central city.

(The Mayans also threw people into cenotes as sacrifices to their religious gods. I hope they used different cenotes for their water. Whistle )

No one knows why the Mayan peoples just disappeared, although I met a couple of Mexicans who claimed to be pure Mayan.

A smaller Mayan Ruins site at Tulum is right on the water and is impressive.

Absurdicuss
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:15:45 AM

@Hope
The existence of a global "network" of ancient monuments astronomically aligned and in precise relative placement presents the intriguing possibility that the history we have come to know may be quite different than the bulk of archaeological scholars are willing to countenance.

Though not Goseck Circle specific, your post is squarely within the topical sphere of inscrutable stone megalithic monuments.

Nice photos too.
Hope2
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:30:55 PM

Hi Abs. Quite impressive aren't they? Must have taken a long time and many laborers to put all those edifices together. And they had to have known astronomy, math etc.

Archeologists are working on trying to figure out everything they can about them.

From April 2013 - http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/13/130425-maya-origins-olmec-pyramid-ceibal-inomata-archaeology-science/

From August 2013 - http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/archeologist-extraordinary-find-mayan-pyramid-guatemala-article-1.1421005

They do know quite a bit about them. I find it all very fascinating.

And they have to do their work in extreme heat, humidity, and in the presence of torrents of malaria-making mosquitoes. Everything is buried deep beneath layers and layers of growth. I wonder how the Mayans managed in that climate.

Absurdicuss
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:29:07 PM

Hello Hope

From what I've heard and read those expeditions are no glamor gig.

Interesting articles that, as usual, open the door to new questions.

Isn't it interesting how ancient and supposedly primitive peoples all over the world were obsessed with astronomy, gods and sacrifice?

Hope2
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 8:48:54 AM

Hi Abs,

Quote Absurdicuss - "Isn't it interesting how ancient and supposedly primitive peoples all over the world were obsessed with astronomy, gods and sacrifice?"

You don't really think modern people are any different do you?

Are you at a conference again in the Ukraine?