The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil. Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, February 8, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,798
You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil.

Aesop (620 BC-560 BC)
SJW
Posted: Saturday, February 8, 2014 2:06:04 AM

Neurons: 15,202
In ancient times:

Quote:
Aesop (620 BC-560 BC)

Today's version:
If it turns out good, it was the boss's idea; if it turns out bad, it was your idea! d'oh!
Gustavo de S Consoni
Posted: Saturday, February 8, 2014 2:42:45 AM

Neurons: 76,559
how to deal with the competitive realities of life?

This is an important question!

Resilience!

Runners who fall during a marathon only to pop back up and dash through the finish line show some serious resilience.
Guto André
Posted: Saturday, February 8, 2014 6:20:23 AM

Neurons: 25,311
I've faced this all the time in my life.I think it's just the same and it will be like this forever. I believe that some people want to see things work and others just vanity.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Saturday, February 8, 2014 6:52:15 AM

Neurons: 529,677
SJW wrote:
In ancient times:

Quote:
Aesop (620 BC-560 BC)

Today's version:
If it turns out good, it was the boss's idea; if it turns out bad, it was your idea! d'oh!

Welcome to the Forum SJW.
There is a serious side to your humorous statement. That is that we allow ourselves to be governed by fear. If it turns out good your boss is afraid that you might be promoted above him or her. So the boss claims the credit for your good works. Generally speaking the boss's boss knows what is happening and goes along with it because he also is fearful of rising talent and so prefers to maintain the status quo. So you have put in the work, but you don't get rewarded.

I remember, therefore I am.
Bully_rus
Posted: Saturday, February 8, 2014 9:04:45 AM

Neurons: 244,016
Daemon wrote:

Aesop (620 BC-560 BC)

That's how the specialization and division of labour works ever since. Take comfort, it is a problem only if you are not belong to the great and mighty.
Gustavo de S Consoni
Posted: Saturday, February 8, 2014 10:32:12 AM

Neurons: 76,559
“Adversity tests the sincerity of friends”
― Aesop
SJW
Posted: Saturday, February 8, 2014 11:29:10 AM

Neurons: 15,202
jacobusmaximus wrote:

Welcome to the Forum SJW.
There is a serious side to your humorous statement. That is that we allow ourselves to be governed by fear. If it turns out good your boss is afraid that you might be promoted above him or her. So the boss claims the credit for your good works. Generally speaking the boss's boss knows what is happening and goes along with it because he also is fearful of rising talent and so prefers to maintain the status quo. So you have put in the work, but you don't get rewarded.

Thank you for the greeting! :)

In terms of hyerarchy and fear, you're right, I'm... afraid (sic!). That's why I consider myself lucky for having no (day-to-day) boss other than myself!
Hjärnan Masken
Posted: Saturday, February 8, 2014 2:29:45 PM

Neurons: 7,445
In your own prison ice is clarity
Verbatim
Posted: Saturday, February 8, 2014 3:07:46 PM

Neurons: 245,659
Daemon wrote:

Aesop (620 BC-560 BC)

Sometimes even the great are denied the spoils of their labor, over and over again, had they offended the gods once too many times. King Sisyphus can tell.

"Greatness carries its own penalties." Aesop
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Saturday, February 8, 2014 6:13:01 PM

Neurons: 350,106
Daemon wrote:

Aesop (620 BC-560 BC)

This quote represents insight that the Prussian schooling / operant conditioning system has excised from the average person's paradigm.

Of course some group of powerful people are going to game the system and take advantage of everyone else.

Where did "cui bono" and "caveat emptor" come from? Our ancestors knew the deal, but not us.

When I explain debt based monetary fraud, and it is a fraud, I get accused of wanting more of the debt receipts (you know them as "money") from this fraudulent system.

Everyone works to build a $100k home. Land is bought. Labor labors. Materials are provided. $100k is the cost.

The bankster literally creates the $100 OUT OF NOTHING, lends it to the mortgagee @ 7% interest (average over a long time) and literally earns more money, doing nothing productive, than all the people who contributed to the building of the home!

$139,508.90 is the amount "earned" by the bank on a $100k home... and they didn't provide anything in the real world to the building of that home! They didn't even have to earn the original $100k, THEY CREATED IT OUT OF NOTHING! ZIPPO, ZERO, ZILCH!

Worse yet, that $139.508.90 they "earned" over the life of the loan IS NOW SOMEONE ELSE'S INEXTINGUISHABLE DEBT!

Debt is not a Choice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juQc0rLdB-E

In medieval times, the feudal lords owned the land and the serfs would work it.

Now the feudal lords own the money... and the serfs enslave themselves for money now.

“In our time, the curse is monetary illiteracy, just as inability to read plain print was the curse of earlier centuries.”
― Ezra Pound

The best way to control the opposition is to finance it. Birds of prey have two wings; the left wing & right wing.
MTC
Posted: Saturday, February 8, 2014 9:50:47 PM

Neurons: 8,606
Daemon wrote:

Aesop (620 BC-560 BC)

This is one of the central problems facing the Peoples Republic of China, an oligarchy of wealth and power which morphed out of a Communist state. The gap between the haves and the have nots is wider than the Grand Canyon, setting the stage for another Mao.