The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The essence of Government is power; and power, lodged as it must be in human hands, will ever be liable to abuse. Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 66,708
The essence of Government is power; and power, lodged as it must be in human hands, will ever be liable to abuse.

James Madison (1751-1836)
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 12:34:43 AM

Neurons: 311,977
"...human hands,..." (Read: billionaires and corporations.)

Don't like it, America? Stop voting for vacuous a-holes to occupy your public offices.
Professor
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 12:48:46 AM

Neurons: 38,558
That is why we have three branches of Government so that no one person, branch or entity can control the people. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, first Baron Acton (1834–1902). The historian and moralist, who was otherwise known simply as Lord Acton, expressed this opinion in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton in 1887:
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

"You reveal your character by what you do with what you have."
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 2:20:57 AM

Neurons: 136,119
Daemon wrote:
The essence of Government is power; and power, lodged as it must be in human hands, will ever be liable to abuse.

It seems that the essence of human hands is more important than the essence of Government and it is a truly magic how a human hands transform itself into an inhuman hands.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 4:25:55 AM

Neurons: 347,916
The essence of Government should be responsibility, and it would be if the majority took an active part in politics instead of just complaining from their armchairs. That is abuse by the people.

I remember, therefore I am.
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 5:40:17 AM

jacobusmaximus wrote:
The essence of Government should be responsibility, and it would be if the majority took an active part in politics instead of just complaining from their armchairs. That is abuse by the people.

Very true. And that responsibility shouldn't only apply to the electorate, but also to the elected officials if they (especially, knowingly) screw things up or engage in chicanery.

I'd love to see more senators, representatives, mayors, governors, presidents, and various other officials and appointees in prison! Their prosecution might result in more honesty.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 6:49:12 AM

Neurons: 347,916
Chevegas wrote:
jacobusmaximus wrote:

Very true. And that responsibility shouldn't only apply to the electorate, but also to the elected officials if they (especially, knowingly) screw things up or engage in chicanery.

I'd love to see more senators, representatives, mayors, governors, presidents, and various other officials and appointees in prison! Their prosecution might result in more honesty.

Good points Chev, but I feel sure that if the ordinary electorate took a more active part in politics the officials would have fewer opportunities to be dishonest in the first place.

I remember, therefore I am.
Gustavo de S Consoni
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 7:42:16 AM

Neurons: 76,559
When we talk about Power we have to remember what means CONSTITUTIONALISM. The power is limited.

American constitutionalism has been defined as a complex of ideas, attitudes, and patterns of behavior elaborating the principle that the authority of government derives from the people, and is limited by a body of fundamental law.

TheParser
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 7:43:07 AM

Neurons: 22,062
I have read that our Founding Fathers (including Mr. Madison) never, ever intended the executive branch (the president) to become so powerful as it is today.

In fact, I believe that our Founding Fathers assumed that Congress would be the key player and would overshadow the president.

Over the years, however, the executive branch has assumed enormous powers.

Did it start, perhaps, with Mr. Lincoln during the Civil War?

Many scholars (and ordinary people) agree that since the tragedy of 9/11, presidential power has expanded beyond anyone's imagination.

Will the next president (Hillary Clinton?) dial back on the "imperial presidency"?
Guto André
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 8:23:42 AM

Neurons: 25,311
We'll have a better world, if we'll have more cooperation than emulation. More altruism less egocentrism.
Gustavo de S Consoni
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 8:44:11 AM

James Madison was responsible for much of the substance of the Constitution (a brief and old document).
Politics and law are not easily separated in US constitutional method.
Gustavo de S Consoni
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 8:54:28 AM

Constitutional Law:

Courts can review the actual content of a law or executive action rather than just the process that led to it.

All branches of government are subject to judicial review (although some actions are clearly granted to other branches by the Constitution; "political questions," are not reviewed).
Marguerite
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 9:59:56 AM

Neurons: 23,973
I was taught that those in government were our benefactors and what little power they had they used to the good of all. All of which is just obscurantism. If we as students were taught reality in school, the way science was taught once upon a time, then we would know just how important our participation is and maybe then we would come up with strategies to make for a better government and a better world.
gradyone
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 10:52:54 AM

Neurons: 12,277

Want to see pols in prison? Look at Chicago.

Viva Geronimo
Christine
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 10:54:32 AM

Neurons: 15,842
Daemon wrote:

In US, power=money

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 11:23:00 AM

Christine wrote:
In US, power=money

This is true of every nation and kingdom in the world, not only the U.S.A.
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 11:25:00 AM

jacobusmaximus wrote:
Good points Chev, but I feel sure that if the ordinary electorate took a more active part in politics the officials would have fewer opportunities to be dishonest in the first place.

Agreed.
Pieter_Hove
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 1:17:17 PM

Neurons: 410,290
" (...) and power, lodged as it must be in human hands, will ever be liable to abuse"
Yes we have Darwin and natural selection (by power), survival of the fittest (by power), and intelligent but mean individuals who get all the power.
Me, in the end, I only negotiate with people by following my instincts. We'll see how powerful we can get. And I still believe in some sort of democracy.
omicrom
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 1:43:53 PM

Neurons: 70,391
Chevegas wrote:
jacobusmaximus wrote:

Agreed.

I think people do not involve more actively in politics because doing so just mean disappointment and frustration.
In Spain for instance, many people affected by mortgage debts unpaid, have been forced to leave their homes which are sold later by the banks, but they have to pay the debt anyway. That people founded an association to claim for the right to have the debt settled once the bank has got their home (this right is acknowledged by the legislation of all European Union countries but spain). They got the signatures needed to force the proposition of a law, and what they got from spanish right-wing Government was to be treated as terrorists, I mean literally. They have been publicly accused and insulted by politicians whose only goal in life is to steal public money and defend the interests of the banks that have bought them when they needed money for the electoral campaings.

Just tell me why nobody will want to be involved in politics
philânderos
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 1:51:27 PM

Neurons: 311,517
Madison is right if power is conceived only as power-over people. And for that, society needs to establish its limits otherwise it become abused. Yet, since all of our human relationships require some form of power or another, society needs not only to establish its limits, but also promote an understanding of power-for doing and accomplishing societal goals. This should be the test of the uses and abuses of power.

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started." Mark Twain
Verbatim
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 6:13:08 PM

Neurons: 236,422
Daemon wrote:

Madison's speech at the Virginia Constitutional Convention, December 2, 1829. http://rotunda.upress.virginia.edu/founders/default.xqy?keys=FOEA-print-02-02-02-1924

""It is sufficiently obvious, that Persons and Property, are the two great subjects on which Governments are to act: and that the rights of persons, and the rights of property are the objects for the protection of which Government was instituted. These rights cannot well be separated. The personal right to acquire property, which is a natural right, gives to property when acquired a right to protection as a social right. The essence of Government is power; and power lodged as it must be, in human hands, will ever be liable to abuse.""

On the federal government:

"The two vital characteristics of the political system of the United States are, first, that the Government holds its powers by a charter granted to it by the people; second, that the powers of government are formed in two grand divisions - one vested in a Government over the whole community, the other in a number of independent Governments over its component parts. Hitherto charters have been written grants of privileges by Governments to the people. Here they are written grants of power by the people to their Governments." - Letter to A. Stevenson, November 27, 1830. Read more: http://www.revolutionary-war-and-beyond.com/james-madison-quotes-10.html#ixzz2saQQ4ht4
Absurdicuss
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 7:38:56 PM

Neurons: 29,211
jacobusmaximus wrote:
Chevegas wrote:
jacobusmaximus wrote:

The masses have been inundated, indoctrinated and programmed into a myopia of consumerism in which success is measured in personal possessions while liberty is slowly squeezed and freedom suffocated by the ambitions of tyrants.

I wonder how egregious the police state will have to get before the citizenry rises up against what has become the ruling authority.

"Now" is the eternal present.
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 7:07:08 AM

Absurdicuss wrote:
I wonder how egregious the police state will have to get before the citizenry rises up against what has become the ruling authority.

Remember Kelly Thomas of Fullerton, California! R.I.P.

That alone is a case for keeping citizens armed, if ever there was one.
Christine
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 9:37:24 AM

Neurons: 15,842
Chevegas wrote:
Christine wrote:
In US, power=money

duh

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2014 2:16:18 AM

Christine wrote:
Chevegas wrote:
Christine wrote:
In US, power=money

duh

Then don't single out one nation, Christine. Your posts make you seem as profound as a mud puddle.